Selected Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts and Literacy in History/Social Studies, Science, and/or Technical Subjects
Anchor Standards addressed
- Reading Informational Texts
- RI1: Read closely to determine what the text says explicitly and to make logical inferences from it; cite specific textual evidence when writing or speaking to support conclusions drawn from the text.
- RI6: Assess how point of view or purpose shapes the content and style of a text.
- RI7: Integrate and evaluate content presented in diverse media and formats, including visually and quantitatively, as well as in words.
- RI8. Delineate and evaluate the argument and specific claims in a text, including the validity of the reasoning as well as the relevance and sufficiency of the evidence.
- Speaking and Listening
- SL1: Prepare for and participate effectively in a range of conversations and collaborations with diverse partners, building on others’ ideas and expressing their own clearly and persuasively.
- SL2: Integrate and evaluate information presented in diverse media and formats, including visually, quantitatively, and orally.
- SL3: Evaluate a speaker’s point of view, reasoning, and use of evidence and rhetoric.
- SL5: Make strategic use of digital media and visual displays of data to express information and enhance understanding of presentations.
- W3: Write narratives to develop real or imagined experiences or events using effective technique, well chosen details, and well structured event sequences.
- W7: Conduct short as well as more sustained research projects based on focused questions, demonstrating understanding of the subject under investigation.
- W9: Draw evidence from literary or informational texts to support analysis, reflection, and research.
- W10: Write routinely over extended time frames (time for research, reflection, and revision) and shorter time frames (a single sitting or a day or two) for a range of tasks, purposes, and audiences.
- Social Studies Anchor Standards for Reading (applies to advanced students grades 6-12)
- SS3: Analyze how and why individuals, events, or ideas develop and interact over the course of a text.
- SS6: Assess how point of view or purpose shapes the content and style of a text.
- SS9: Analyze how two or more texts address similar themes or topics in order to build knowledge or to compare the approaches authors take.
More Common Core Available
Download the Common Core App: