RSS Feed

Week 2_Summer Hatfield

January 21, 2014 by summerh@uoregon.edu   

EAGER by Allison Schulnik from garaco taco on Vimeo.

When we were talking about animations for the purpose of recreation in our Reporting Story class this video came to mind. Even though it is not recreating anything, I still wanted to post it because I find it to be very inspiring and I love claymation. Plus I think there are certain aspects of it which could be applied to making a really interesting animated recreation. Allison Schulnik has such a unique style. It’s a little strange, sometimes a little creepy, but always beautiful. What I am really impressed with in this video is how she managed to choreograph the characters dancing with the music. That is really hard to do with regular video, so I can’t even imagine how she did it with stop motion.

Another thing that struck me that you don’t often see in stop motion is that the camera focus changed in the middle of a scene. This happens at about 6:03. Shortly after that the video breaks into a really fast part where the quick changes of flower scenery, with some time-lapse, implies that a great deal of time is passing. If it went on for too much longer than it does it would be a little too much to handle, but I think it stops just soon enough to be effective.

»