Week 1-Summer Hatfield Intro

Hi! Although I’ve always had an interest in writing and storytelling, and have always kept up on the news, I am fairly new to the world of professional journalism, at least in the most common sense of the word.  I started in college as an art major, and got my first degree in fine arts.  Even then I was always interested in the story behind an image, and how to better convey an idea or concept through a visual medium.  It wasn’t until several years after graduating that I took an art and social practices class just out of interest.  My professor in that class introduced me to the world of video and it changed my life. After that first class I decided to take more video and editing classes, followed by a year long documentary production series. It was there that I first realized how important journalism is, and how passionately I feel about it. I then did a summer internship with OPB where I worked as the associate producer for Oregon Lens, and as a videographer and editor for Oregon Field Guide.  The documentary series and the internship were not only the most enjoyable things I’ve ever done in my life, they also taught me the importance of story.  Now its all I can think about.  I always want to know what everyone’s story is. Why are people the way they are, what are people doing to turn potentially negative situations into positive ones? And how can I help them share their stories with others? Story has always existed in some form or another, and will continue to exist as long as we do. So now its a matter of figuring out how to reach people in the world we currently exist in. That is why I am doing this program.  Like others, I don’t have a twitter account, I don’t have an iPhone, I don’t even have Facebook… yet.  But I see the importance these things play, and as much as I want to avoid it all, I know I must embrace it and make the most of it.  So that is what I am hoping to get out of this course.  How can I use the current platforms to my advantage, and for the benefit of those I hope to reach?  And at the same time, how can I not get so sucked in that I forget to really listen to people.  I believe that in the future that is one thing that will separate great journalists from the rest of the pack: not just hearing, but really listening, and paying close attention to what is going on around you instead of what is on the glowing screen on your lap.  Also, I believe the ability to tell a captivating story in a way that is also visually appealing is a very powerful tool.  I think it is really interesting coming into journalism at a time when it is changing so dramatically and rapidly.  It excites me because I feel like I get to be a part of that development.

8 comments to Week 1-Summer Hatfield Intro

• natalieb@uoregon.edu

It is soothing to me to hear several people in these programs admit their limited or lack of interaction with social media. It gives me faith that although it seems incredibly important to communications work nowadays, it is really just a small part of it. *sigh of relief*

• kblack7@uoregon.edu

Summer,

Your introduction really spoke to me. I really admire and agree with your overall feelings about journalistic storytelling. Oftentimes, over the course of a journalist’s career, it is easy for a person to walk into an interview with the quote they envisioned in their mind, rather than walking into that situation and merely being ready for the information and insight that they have to offer you.

–Katelyn

• epriebe@uoregon.edu

The challenge of having so many platforms to choose from is something I am all to familiar with. A lot of companies simply sign up for every platform that comes along without really thinking about whether or not that particular platform is a good strategic fit for their brand. Managing social media is a full-time job in and of itself, and doing it well takes commitment and creativity. I think it’s really important not to get caught up in the craze of having to have the latest and greatest platform. We need to really think about the strategies behind what we’re putting out and where our customers will really interact with our stories.

• jarrattt@uoregon.edu

At least I have a facebook! Haha! Thankfully I’m not the last person in this crew to catch on to something social media related 😉

But I do sometimes envy those people without accounts. It seems studies have emerged that the more you use facebook the more unhappy you are. But then there are lists related to things that filmmakers should be doing and they often talk about creating more of a presence online, which is something I hardly ever do before I have finished a piece.

• Makare

Every social networking platform is a tool and can be used however best serves you. Social media is one of those things that some people can do well, and enjoy doing, and others just can’t bring themselves to do.

I embraced Twitter a long time ago, and find it to be an engaging and interesting place to cull information and interact, but I see fairly often companies and individuals that do more harm than good to their personal and professional reputations by not using the platform well.

When it comes to social media I always advise people to err on the side of being human. Too many people come across as stilted and uninteresting as they type out non-sensical marketing messages, or promote themselves via Facebook, Twitter, etc.

When it comes down to it, you need to decide what tools you want to use, and which you feel most comfortable using, and learn to adapt your needs to an ever changing digital space.

• awoodard@uoregon.edu

I think it’s interesting that there was so much rich information in this post, and everyone zeroed in on the social media aspect (dare I say it? lol). I was about to as well. We seem to have landed in an interesting and terrifying moment were media professionals recognize we need to keep up with Internet trends or fall behind, but nobody has any clue what the future will look like. So I guess it’s perfectly natural everyone feels anxious and kind of ambivalent about all these new tools, even when we acknowledge they’re useful.

• dereky@uoregon.edu

Summer,
    I too do not have a smartphone, but I must admit that I do use an ipod touch to stay connected. I have a facebook account, but I check it once a month. I whole heartedly agree with the value of listening. I found that sometimes the urge to be so connected to the world via technology, causes people to be disconnected to the “real world” and more connected and comfortable in the world they live online.

• amandae@uoregon.edu

Hey Summer –I thought the most salient part about your discussion of social media was your acknowledgment that you see the importance, but don’t want to get sucked into it. One thing that has increasingly worried me about social media platforms is how they commodify the individual into a marketable object. We all become mini-me’s, marketing our perfect lives, and able to be marketed to. Another issue is that they are predominately private platforms that have increasingly become the space for public discussion. I find this disturbing, and actually think a more critical discussion of using these mediums so intimately in the class should occur(ie: using FB groups for our internal class discussions). While I support the growth of communication networks, I think an uncritical lens is extremely dangerous, and deserves a discussion.