RSS Feed

Slow Mo Magic!

February 12, 2014 by kblack7@uoregon.edu   

After our discussion about the high speed cameras, I found this commercial and I was pretty much rendered speechless. This is AMAZING! Don’t get me wrong, this took a lot of work, a huge crew, a composer to create the perfect sound design, but I thought it was a killer idea of some creative things we could do (or at least try) with the FS 700 camera at our disposal.

Created as a commercial for Schwartz Flavour Shots, this slow-motion video dubbed “The Sound of Taste” is an amazing combination of cinematography and pyrotechnics that has been combined to create what filmmaker Chris Cairns calls “an audiovisual feast.” Couldn’t have said it better myself! The filmmakers said in this article that they were trying to emulate what the experience of tasting different flavors would physically look like. I also found that the behind-the-scenes video of the production was really interesting and helped me wrap my head around how they were able to pull this off. Seems like they did a lot of work to get it just right, but it definitely paid off! This is one of the most creative commercials I have seen in a long time!

Also another amazing slow-motion video I found. This type of video seems to be a little more in our ability to create….

A Phantom Flex Summer Story from Brad Kremer on Vimeo.

3 Comments »

1. abk@uoregon.edu says:

Cool stuff. The behind the scenes video is almost even cooler though. I like the fact that it was almost reverse engineered. They had the music pre-composed, and then they were able to break down the ratios of space in the sound so that they could synch it all up in slow motion. I can only imagine the degree of anxiety that everyone involved must have when the actual explosion is taking place – the amount of planning that went in to something that in actuality only took 5 seconds.

2. jarrattt@uoregon.edu says:

With the second piece I was on the verge of thinking it was too slow until I started to look more and discover new things to see, such as when the kid is going down the slip n slide. The way you can see the light reflecting off of the water was enthralling and beautiful.

3. Makare says:

While not shot on high speed cameras “The Sound of Taste” advert reminds me of this ad from Sony, that used great color and made my eyeballs happy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GURvHJNmGrc Another ad from Sony following the same pattern did use a mix of slow motion footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wMEAWcFZg0