Week 3: Katelyn Black Response to Viewings

“I didn’t hear chaotic noise anymore. I heard the very particular words and voices of individual men, women, and children who had become real to me” said Wynne Maggi, one of the Center for Digital Storytelling’s workshop participants. To me, this confession of realization that her subjects had become real through her understanding and connection to their story and their struggles is the sole purpose of this type of  mass storytelling that we are focusing on this week.

Audience members can understand and empathize with a person from vastly different walks of life through platforms such as Mapping Memories, the Center for Digital Storytelling and The Interview Project. This type of storytelling, usually referenced in these sites as ‘bringing the voices of the silent out’ has such a larger context than merely sharing stories with fellow human beings. These stories can be used to make context about civilizations as a whole; their worries and their struggles, and how they relate to the bigger picture of life on planet earth. People are able to share their insight on life for the mutual benefit of the speaker and those who are witnesses.These mass interview and reflective projects serve as a type of period piece where we are able to hear directly from the protagonist and feel a sense of connection to their story. We are able to realize that people from vastly different regions of the world undertake many of the same trials and tribulations that we face. I wonder if a project such as ‘The Interview Project’ could serve as an exhibit in a museum?

These pieces, as well as projects from Witness and Engage Media, also serve a very important purpose for audience members. They teach us to listen to the stories being told. Many people become so distracted in their own lives or do not have the patience to really listen to a story from cover to cover (so to speak). The Center for Digital Storytelling argues that anyone can learn to listen deeply, “ [And] when they do, they create space for the storyteller to journey into the heart of the matter at hand”. If everyone really listened to the stories at hand, they can be deeply moved by these personal narratives so much that they are inspired to change the way they act, take a stand against social injustices, and create a space for change. After all, the sharing of these stories is what has the actual power to make a difference.

“Pain is nothing more than a call for love. An opportunity for passion and unity.”

5 comments to Week 3: Katelyn Black Response to Viewings

• jarrattt@uoregon.edu

I love how you mention that these stories have “such a larger context than merely sharing stories…” Even though they are very localized and mapped to a specific location, they have the possibility of moving beyond their origin. I feel this very strongly, but I keep trying to figure out why that is. Why can I watch some story from an old dude on the side of the road in Bakersfield and be as engaged with it as I would anything else. I guess just saying it’s the “power of story” or something doesn’t feel like a complete a answer for me. Why do I love seeing another old dude stand in front of his busted van with his busted teeth hearing about looking forward to when his girlfriend gets out of prison, or some old grandma in her kitchen talking about her mom and how treating people right is how we connect with God? I love that stuff sososo much!

• kgaboury@uoregon.edu

Nice insights. I also found myself getting lost in the “Interview Project” and spent about an hour listening to their stories. I also loved the little “Enjoy the interview” segues by David Lynch. I think the whole project will serve as an interesting cultural artifact for future generations — imagine if they had the same kind of technology available in the 1800s. It would be so fascinating to watch.

• natalieb@uoregon.edu

Jarratt, for me, partly why i like watching the same things is because the video offers a sense of safety. A screen. In real life, I wouldn’t hear their story because I wouldn’t ask. I would be afraid, or too busy, or just not willing or able to spend the time to ask. And they wouldn’t tell me unless they trusted me. So they trust the interviewers, but the context (buzzword!?) of the video camera offers the interviewer the ability to ask several deep question and often get answers, maybe partly because people are flattered to be on video.

Katelyn, I also like your reference to these digital stories all offering context for future viewers to understand our times better.

• kblack7@uoregon.edu

Natalie, I think you bring up such a great point. Oftentimes, we would not ever be able to receive the stories that we do through this form of storytelling simply because we would not ask that kind of truth from a perfect stranger.

• dereky@uoregon.edu

Katelyn,
    You mentioned some great insights to this week’s viewings. I agree with your idea that the videos we have been watching have a greater purpose. I think that educators are scratching at the surface when it comes to the use of digital multimedia in their classrooms. I think that so much of what Mapping Memories, the Center for Digital Storytelling and The Interview Project does could be used in various classrooms in high schools. I don’t know where to begin with the sharing of these resources.