Week 1: Mike Plett – introduction

Probably like most everyone, I still don’t know what I want to be when I grow up. At 38, I hope this strategic communications program and my interactions with my fellow students will help bring things into focus.

I’ve been addicted to stories and storytelling since I can remember. While a kid in Northern California, this impulse found a creative outlet with self-made “storybooks” featuring words and illustrations by yours truly. I headed into journalism in part because the field allowed me to express myself with words and art.

As a result, I’ve held a variety of journalism jobs, including being a reporter, graphic artist, copy editor, page designer and – at the peak of my career – managing editor of a daily newspaper in Alaska. Each of these positions provided different career avenues, which I explored. For example, my time as a graphic artist led to a brief stint as a digital cartographer, where I learned to tell “stories” through maps. The copy editor position led me down the path to managing a staff of 14 people.

But my entire journalism career centered on newspapers. When I got married, I decided the newspaper industry was just too volatile. So I’ve attempted to segue into a career in strategic communications. As a communications specialist for a public sector union I’ve learned to tell our members’ stories, helping them fight back against anti-labor narratives. I’ve been able to apply much of my past experiences, but I know I have a lot to learn.

7 comments to Week 1: Mike Plett – introduction

• swheeler@uoregon.edu

Mike,

Do you use any new media at your job? If so, I would be curious to hear what sites or applications you use.

• Grace

Mike, you and I are the same age and I also am not quite sure yet what I wanna really do when I grow up. Trying to get a jump on mid-life crisis, when the big “four-zero” hits. Well, while we may be writing “30” on our career in the noble profession (journalism) for the moment, strategic communications seem to offer new ways to explore what we can do with our basic tool kit as writers and visual communicators.

• bjh@uoregon.edu

Mike it seems like you are clearly a jack of all trades. I do not blame you for wanting to get out of the newspaper business. I am interested by your current job working with unions and controlling their stories. How did you transition into that position when you first took it? Also I would like to hear how you use new media and social media as well. It seems like that would be a very powerful tool for you as it gives you direct access to the people who would read your stories.

• mplett@uoregon.edu

My union is relatively new to new media/social media. OSEA is trying to make its website the hub for all of its communications with members. Our Facebook, Twitter and Flickr pages are important ways for us to directly communicate with members and develop a sense of community around labor issues (Facebook is really where our members are if they use social media). But these social media sites also help direct folks to our website for more in-depth stories and links to important member information. Our weekly electronic newsletter similarly tries to move our members online with story links.

A big reason for this approach is economics — the union can no longer afford the large mailings it used to send its members. Among some of the old guard, this is a bit frightening. When we mail our print newsletter, there’s the possibility that all 20,000 members get the message (of course many members may never even open it). But when we send out eblasts, or post online, the audience we get is much, much smaller.

One tool we’d love to be using is video, but we’re hampered by the lack of funds for a camera (as well as the technical expertise … but that’s another story).

Anyway, that’s what we do. If you’d like to check us out, visit http://www.osea.org, facebook.com/osea6732, twitter.com/osea6732 and flickr.com/osea6732.

• banders3@uoregon.edu

I was also interested in Steven’s question about the use of new media. I’d be interested to find out what avenues are best for relaying information to this particular group of stakeholders (Tweets, emails, videos, smartphone apps, etc?). Several months ago, I applied for a digital media position for Wilco (a farm supply company) and I wondered the same thing, especially considering that Wilco customers (primarily farmers) may not be the most technologically savvy demographic out there.

• epriebe@uoregon.edu

I’m also fascinated by the use of new media. I have primarily worked for companies that do B2B sales, and the challenge there is figuring out who the right audience is. Do we try and talk to businesses in our Facebook and Twitter posts? Or do we go after influential individuals who perhaps have the buying power within their company? How should the stories we’re telling as a company be targeted differently with those two options in mind? Those are questions I think we’re still trying to figure out as communicators. I haven’t seen very many examples of B2B companies that are using new media especially well. I’m really interested in exploring that communications path.

• Makare

I often wonder if anyone actually has any idea what they want to be when they grow up! Here’s to always looking for something different, because same is boring.