RSS Feed

Dogs Shaking in Slow Motion (ACE 1)

October 30, 2013 by amandae@uoregon.edu   

Today’s a slow week.  This inspires me to think about all the minutia involved in any action, and how the naked eye  simply doesn’t see it.  In a sense, this is a reason to take up a camera, to document the fascinating and inane nature of life at a different speed. Also: who knew??? I guess film can actually teach us while entertaining.

In terms of set up, I like how they’ve got the pooches in a controlled environment, almost interview style, to mitigate any interference and focus on the important elements. Namely, exactly what happens when a dog shakes? 🙂

3 Comments »

1. Adam says:

I’m addicted to slow motion stuff and fairly mesmerized by it. What really amazes me about it, and about film in general, is that our vision is produced by the eyes taking a snapshot five times a second. Five times! That means that if we’re shooting 30 frames a second, we’re actually shooting six times more than we’re physically able to see – the brain basically pieces all the rest together. It doesn’t really make sense to me, but I love the slow motion stuff and seeing all the stuff my brain wouldn’t normally be able to recognize.

On the same tip, have you guys gotten into this new trend of music being slowed down 800%? It’s awesome, and even makes this Bieber song sound good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYOCaJzW04Y

2. oaldakhe@uoregon.edu says:

Besides the amazing slow motion here, i liked the lighting, it was soft and we saw each dog in a spot light and simple black floor and background as if it was like a theatrical show or a standup up comedy.

3. emcdona2@uoregon.edu says:

I LOVE this! Watched it three times and just kept on laughing! I love that you are able to take in the ridiculous aspects of an everyday movement with the slow motion. Also I like the juxtaposition of the romantic music with the slobber flinging dogs.