Handouts and Resources
2004-05 Archived Series – August 19, 2005
Project-based Learning and Assessment
This is the ninth lecture in a 10-part professional development series for English as a Foreign Language educators in Thailand. University of Oregon is partnering with the US Embassy in Bangkok, the Royal Thai Distance Learning Foundation, colleagues at Chulalongkorn University, and at ThaiTESOL on this innovative and exciting project. This session will feature student projects from Thai schools in the NE part of Thailand.
About the Speaker
Leslie Opp-Beckman is on faculty at the University of Oregon in the Linguistics Department and the American English Institute. She develops e-learning curriculum and and teaches courses on Computer-Assisted Language Learning.
- What is the relationship between content-based instruction (videoconference #8) and project-based learning?
- Where can I see examples of other teachers’ projects?
- Is project-based learning only for young learners?
- How can I assess student projects; is there more than one option?
- Project Work, A Means to Promote Language Content, by Fredricka L. Stoller.
- Living Lessons. How Projects Engage Kids and Deepen Understanding, a series of articles from NW Education Magazine, NW Regional Education Laboratory. In particular, see the lead article by Lee Sherman, Explore, Question, Ponder, and Imagine.
- Implementing Project-based Instruction: Creating Excitement for Learning.There is no one correct way to implement a project, but here are some questions and things to consider when designing effective projects. You can also download the complete series of articles as a PDF or text-only file from NWREL, August 2002.
- Steps for Planning and Implementing a Project-Based Learning + Multimedia Project. A planning framework with a table outlining three examples of how this framework could be applied to different projects.
- The Big List on Project-Based Learning, from Edutopia. Many examples of projects from teachers.
- Project Based Learning Checklists. Make assessment checklists for different grade levels and topics.
- RubiStar. Create evaluation rubrics for projects of all types.