The E-Teacher Scholarship Program is a program of the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, Office of English Language Programs. E-Teacher courses and the professional development exchange are administered by the University of Oregon’s (UO) American English Institute (AEI). All decisions to award scholarships and professional development exchange places and the criteria related thereto are made and established by the U.S. Department of State.
In addition to year-round online course offerings, the E-Teacher Scholarship Program offered a 3-week exchange program Fall 2013 and 2014–the E-Teacher Professional Development Workshop (“Fall Institute” or “PD Workshop”)–on the beautiful UO campus in Eugene, Oregon. Up to 26 participants out of 1200 (or approximately 2%) of all course participants were selected for this prestigious on-site training program each year. There is no Fall 2015 Workshop.
PD Workshop Exchange Program Selection Criteria
Professional Development Workshop candidate selections were based on a combination of criteria and eligibility factors, which included the following:
- Outstanding performance in online coursework during the current program year.
- Willingness and capacity to implement long-term projects to improve the quality of English education in the local community.
- No recent participation in a U.S. Government-sponsored exchange program.
- No extended period of time residing in or visiting the U.S.
- Not a dual U.S. citizen.
- No university degree from a U.S. institution.
- Ability to attend the Fall Professional Development Workshop unchaperoned; this was an unaccompanied exchange.
- No health issues that precluded travel to and around the U.S.
- Able to obtain a passport to travel to the U.S. on a J-1 visa.
Maintaining equitable E-Teacher alumni representation from regions worldwide (Africa, East Asia and the Pacific, Europe, Middle East and North Africa, South Central Asia, the Western Hemisphere) was also a factor in the selection process.
PD Workshop Program Details
Academic and pre-arrival information for nominees for Fall 2014 is archived:
Other University of Oregon Program Offerings
- MA Language Teaching Specialization (LTS)
- Second Language Acquisition and Teaching (SLAT) Certificate
- ESOL Endorsement for Primary and Secondary Level Teachers