Many teachers of Spanish may have encountered the Mazatec legend of “El fuego y el tlacuache” (The Fire and the Possum, about how people first received fire and about a possum with a hairless tail).
A number of curricular materials can be found on line about this legend:
- Una leyenda mazateca: El fuego y el tlacuache (summary of the legend, with lesson plan in Spanish and some instructions in English; a downloadable PDF)
- Another version of the legend with associated curricular materials for Spanish language instruction purposes.
- A YouTube reading by students of Spanish of the legend, with images and some animation.
- A Spanish language lesson with flashcards.
- The story (in Spanish), a vocabulary list (Spanish), and a photo of a tlacuache.