LTS

Language Teaching Studies Blog Site at the University of Oregon

Student Spotlight: Ngan Vu (2017-18)

| 0 comments

It is my pleasure to introduce you to 2017-2018 LTS MA student Ngan Vu!

Ngan in Da Nang City, Vietnam

Hi Ngan! Please tell the world a little bit about yourself.

Hi everyone! I am from Ho Chi Minh City (or previously called Saigon), Vietnam. I enjoy jogging since it helps me connect more with nature and balance my inner self.

And have you been enjoying the program so far?

With no doubt, yes! I am enjoying the program and happy with what I am doing and the people whom I am with. Being in the program is not just about learning (yes, we undoubtedly must) but also forming a community in which memories (and sometimes anxiety) are shared. All the professors in the LTS program, everyone at the Yamada Language Center, and my cohort members have given me more knowledge and opportunities for valuable experiences than I could ever ask for.

And I know you’ve been tutoring at the Yamada Language Center. What has that experience been like?

Ngan with Yamada SSLP coordinator Harinder Khalsa and FLTA’s Som-Oh Sripakdee and Amna Hasan

No words can fully describe this invaluable experience. In the Self Study Language Program (SSLP), learners are highly motivated and the tutor-learner relationship is very close. Plus, tutoring at Yamada helps me experiment with new technological tools and put into practice knowledge acquired in LTS classes. I have been receiving immense emotional and professional support from everyone, especially Jeff, Harinder, my mentor chị Tâm, and Gary. Also, I have learned considerably from my students who are dedicated, motivated and very patient with me, and my FLTA friends. Their positive energy always inspires me.

Sounds like a truly exceptional experience! What are you hoping to gain from the LTS program?  

Ngan with her students learning Vietnamese in Yamada’s Self Study Language Program.

Coming in the program with little background, I hope to learn as much as I can in terms of theoretical foundation of second language pedagogy and how to effectively apply the knowledge in and even beyond language classrooms. Also, my wish is to figure out how to make language learning more accessible and less intimidating for learners.

Any final thoughts?

I am deeply grateful for everything and feel fortunate to be here, in the program, and crossing paths with many warm-hearted and kind souls.

Thank you for sharing your experiences so far Ngan–LTS is glad to have your warm-hearted and kind soul as well!