LTS

Language Teaching Studies Blog Site at the University of Oregon

Alumni Spotlight Ahyeong Kim

| 0 comments

Screen Shot 2015-05-16 at 9.55.50 PM

Ahyeong Kim earned her MA from LTS in 2013. She extended her stay in Eugene by doing OPT (Optional Practical Training) teaching Korean at Lane Community College and developing a curriculum project for CAPS (Center for Asian Pacific Studies). She just returned to Korea and will be pursuing additional certification to teach Korean in a public school there. Her MA Project, titled “A Project-Based Korean Course for Young Learners in the U.S.”, was inspired by her student-teaching in the Korean afterschool club at Willagillespie Community School in Eugene.

What is your favorite memory in LTS? 

Parties! I would say “Library parties” and “Birthday parties”. Our cohort got together very often for studying and socializing. There was a table (I called it LTS table) near the microform information desk where I found my classmates studying. We sometimes ended up going to a bar after a long day of studying, which was fun. We also had lots of birthday parties for each other, almost every month!

What was most valuable for you from the program? 

LTS gave me concrete ideas of becoming a language teacher. I simply thought that I could be a teacher after finishing the program. However, I had opportunities to practice in real teaching environments throughout the program and I found myself really enjoying preparing for class and interacting with students.

What advice do you have for current or future graduate students?

LTS is a pretty intensive program. Don’t be panicked though. You can achieve your goals in the program by interacting with the faculty and classmates. Ask for help when necessary. LTS faculty and your cohort are on your side. I was very fortunate to have 2012-2013 cohort and great faculty because they were willing to help me whenever I needed.