I never really believed in reincarnation before…

Play time: 3:00- 4:30pm

Yet again, I am running into overheating problems. It seems to be that my computer is more likely to overheat as I am in a very intense time of the game. And speaking of intense…

I have learned what it is like to feel like prey in a game (Bartle, 1996). While I fell prey to the game, and not other player personality types, I did feel somewhat attacked. It all started when I was working on a quest for arcane cores. At first, I did not know that I need to kill the urchin before trying to open the glowing chest. And the urchins attack quite a lot faster than other creatures in the game. Then, I moved too close to a chest by two urchins. And then found out what it is like to die in WoW. Thankfully, those players that are under level 10 can be resurrected with no penalties.

The second time I died in the game, I truly believed that the game was trying to punish me for my last successful play session without overheating. I don’t understand what I could be doing so wrong. And this second incarnation was doomed from the beginning. This play session, I attempted to play with an oblivious audience. My friends would watch me playing without seeing the screen on my computer. This came to be favorable for their entertainment as I would be engaging with some conversation and immediately start yelling and screaming as I fell prey to urchins. After this play session, I feel that I have lost my status as an achiever in the game and moved into some mutated form of a socializer that just does not socialize with other players in the game (Bartle, 1996).

Bartle, R. (1996). “Hearts, Clubs, Diamonds, Spades: Players Who Suit MUDs”. Journal of MUD Research I.