April Alumni Spotlight!

Martin Leung!

[Photo taken by Kevin Lai]

How did you find out about UO Wushu?

I found out about UO Wushu through Ray Tsunoda, who was the captain of the wushu team a year or two before I joined. He highly suggested the sport to me so I checked out the sport and fell in love with it.

How long were you involved with the club?

I was in the club for three years and I would have definitely continued if I had stayed in Eugene.

What were the most difficult and most rewarding factors of being on team?

The most difficult part would definitely be balancing wushu, school and other activities that I enjoyed. Often times, I had to rearrange other activities to attend practices on time. The most rewarding part would be the bonding in the sport. You will make good friends on the team, after all, you are spending 6 hours during practice and countless hours outside of practice with your teammates.

How did you balance all your activities during college?

I didn’t really succeed in balancing mine but I will say what I would have done instead. It is important to set priorities and know what matters most to you now and in the future. From there, just make sure you finish what’s most important and the rest you can pick and choose.

Did you specialize in something?

Not really, I tried staff, broadsword and changquan when I was on the team and by my last year, I focused mainly on changquan and drilled on basics such as stances and jumps. Personally my favorite is jumping.

Can you describe the mental and physical progression you experienced from your first competition to your last competition?

Everybody got nervous during competition, not to mention the first competition. It is normal to get nervous and go on autopilot on your form during your first competition. Of course, that means you have to practice it quite a lot to get the body memory. By the last competition, I was less nervous and able to control myself to some degree.

How did the Wushu community impact your life?

I met some of my best friends at UO through wushu and we hung out a lot. Moreover, Ray and Kenny, previous captains of wushu, brought me to the gym and taught me how to train my body. Without them, I would continue staying home 24/7 without any exercise.

How has Wushu impacted your life?

After wushu, I got used to working out and exercising at least once or twice a week, which helps with staying healthy. When I see people doing wushu or hear some wushu song, I would stop and watch for a while.

Where are you now in life?

I moved back to Hong Kong and got a job. Looking forward for what the future might bring.

Do you still practice? 

Sadly, no. I don’t really have the time to train now and I kinda lack motivation to train by myself. Every once in a while I will wear my feiyues and do some jumps and stance drills, which is fun! I still go running and weightlifting just to stay in shape though.

Do you have any advice for current team members? 

Work hard on your stances and stretch everyday~ it’s boring and painful but it’s all worth it when you start learning more advanced moves. Don’t be afraid to ask questions since UO wushu has an amazing network with lots of wushu alumnus who will be more than happy to give you advice on your forms and training~ Jiayou!

Do you have any advice for the general public?

If you have the chance, try wushu out. It’s amazingly fun! Otherwise, your support during performances gives lots of encouragement to the performers.