On Nov. 16th, UO PRSSA ventured to Portland, Ore. to tour the local offices of Edelman Portland and Liaison PR. The city of Portland is home to several well-known PR agencies – Edelman, Liaison, and Waggener Edstrom included. The day was full of insightful information and inspiration, helping to establish a clear idea of the life of a PR professional after graduation.
The day began with a tour and information session with Edelman Portland, one of many company offices throughout the world. Edelman Portland is home to approximately 50 employees and overlooks Pioneer Courthouse Square from the 8th floor of a spacious, modern office. Members discussed life at a PR agency with five current professionals of the Edelman team, followed by an office tour and look into daily life there.
After, UO PRSSA visited Liaison PR in the Portland Pearl District for a tour of their urban office. Liaison is home to a small staff and a specialized focus on technology and consumer PR. An informational session with Liaison’s talented team offered insight to working in a niche agency. Part of the presentation included hearing from Liaison’s founder Heidi Lowell, who was visiting the office from her home in London.
So why should you consider touring a local PR agency before graduation?
- You can establish a feel for what life at a PR agency is like. Pay attention to the pace of the office, the vibe of the professionals, the type of work they do, and whatever else you can pick up. The experience might help you decide if working in a agency post-grad is the right fit for you.
- You can get your questions answers by individuals with real-world experience. The professionals at work for agencies are living in the PR industry here and now. Their insight is up-to-date and realistic, meaning you’ll get the latest information.
- You can connect with public relation professionals who already work in an agency. Take along business cards to trade, be prepared to ask questions, and follow up with an email after the tour to thank them.
- You can explore potential employers in your area. An agency tour can highlight companies you might be interested in applying to after graduation.
- You can learn about internship and employment opportunities available in your area. Don’t be afraid to ask what the agency looks for in an intern or entry-level employee. The insight could be incredibly helpful if you apply later.
UO PRSSA would like to thank Edelman Portland and Liaison PR for the insightful, inspiring day of tours! Our Chapter plans multiple PR agency tour opportunities each year. Stay tuned for more information on the trips planned for winter and spring 2013 at upcoming Chapter meetings. Have you ever toured a local PR agency? What was your favorite part of the experience?