Marketing Media & Communication II – Learning Objectives

I have worked in a marketing role for several years but without any formal training. I hope to gain the framework for arts marketing to supplement the working knowledge that I already have attained. Hopefully at the end of the course I will have a renewed confidence in my marketing/communication abilities in which my experiences in the field are supplemented by more concrete understanding of marketing tactics.

One thing that I have not had the knowledge to really do yet is to develop a formal marketing plan. I look forward to learning the specific elements of such, what one must take into consideration before the development of the plan, and how to develop an effective marketing strategy.  Specifically, a strategy that is responsible to organizational needs as well as to developments in technology and new marketing methods.

I would like to have a more refined marketing vocabulary and a more diverse tool belt. This includes knowing of mare marketing instruments and the situations in which to use them. I also want to have a better idea of the effectiveness of these tools and how to evaluate their effectiveness. It has always been my experience that evaluation of success is one  of the most challenging aspects of marketing. Sometimes it is very difficult to gauge. I also want to discover more creative marketing methods and strategies and the framework to consider when developing more nontraditional strategies.

Lastly, I want to have a better understanding of the role of marketing within arts organizations, as well as possibly within the different kinds of arts organizations. What are the things different in each one that must be considered? What is the same? How do marketing professionals be successful even while oftentimes up against a very tight budget?