Research Methodology – Learning Objectives

I met with second year student Chelsey Trujillo who is working on her terminal masters research project, answering the question of how community arts organizations utilize third space as a tool to create authentic engagement. The four “sub-questions” of her research project were centered around structures, engagement, experiential programming and constructed space. Chelsey talked with me about what she learned along the way, the two research methodologies she chose, and how she collected information. She chose to do a literature review of one organization that already identified as third space (an exemplary example), and collective case studies of two other organizations that were utilizing third space but that did not identify as a third space organization. Through these methodologies she is able to compare how arts organizations may be utilizing third space, as there is very little current research on the topic, especially in regards to identification and tangible utilization. From my conversation with Chelsey I was able to delineate my own learning objectives for the Research Methodology course:

I want to become very familiar with all of the resources available for research as well as how to use them, and what role they might play in my process. I know that outside sources will help lead me through my question and clarify my research as I move along so I want to leave the course with a good understanding of possible source material and where I can collect it.

Beyond collecting resources, I want to have a good grasp on how to organize that material for easier analyzing and reference. I have found out in the past that research can sometimes lead you to mountains of material and the most important skills to have are time management and abilities to organize.

By the end of the course, I want to be much more comfortable with the research process. Chelsey talked to me a lot about how a researcher must stay flexible, allow for change, and understand that the process is not linear, the steps are not necessarily clear, nor do they go in order.

Most of the research that I have done in the past has been strictly literature based. It is important to me that I learn about all of the research methods and instruments that could be utilized and formatted to my research. I want to be able to recognize and analyze their role in other research as well.

The idea of formulating a research topic or question can be a daunting task. I hope to be able to at least begin narrowing down my possible topic, with the understanding that this could change, and have a good handle on how to go about this process of simplifying my topic and my methodology.

I want to have a better understanding of myself as a researcher, and what my role is within my research.

Lastly, it is important that I begin to clarify the purpose of research for myself within my career. How will it be applicable for me after graduation? How can I take the skills and knowledge from this course and apply it in a general sense after my academic experience? How might it be applied to my career?