Art, Games, and Tech Discussion

When I see this week’s topic “ Art, Technology and Games”, I have lots of words to say about games. Because I have many friends like play games, they always play that all day without rest, just like addicted to it. So I think people who like playing games are crazy. However, in the video from TED talk by Jane McGonigal, she is game designer, she believes that people spend 3 billion hours a week on playing games is not enough, we need spend 21 billion hours on playing games every week, that is motivate people to face difficulties and try to solve these problems. However, I do not agree with her opinion, because I cannot see this spirituality from my friends, they are also game players, but they are lazy and crazy! So, I do not believe playing games can bring a good future for them. My question is “What types of games can not make people addicted playing games?“

13 Comments on Art, Games, and Tech Discussion

1. Gains Mountain
    February 27, 2015 at 10:43 pm (9 years ago)

I like the question you posted. Although you disagree with the fact that video games could be beneficial, I think your question posts a good question to think about. Not all video games are addicting, I think it really depends on the personality of the person when looking into addictive behaviors. Some people can play video games and not be addicted at all, while others can play and be consumed by the games. I think a game that makes you wait or only play a certain amount per day could allow people to play but be restricted. This would control how much people could play and possibly prevent addiction. This could be something that McGongal could incorporate into her games to prevent addiction while monitoring hours people play to see if people playing more are actually doing much better.

Reply
    • qun@uoregon.edu
      March 2, 2015 at 12:08 am (9 years ago)

Thank you for your comment for my assignment. I think your idea is good, but I still cannot believe that people who like playing games will not be addicted by that. As you said that”a game that makes you wait or only play a certain amount per day could allow people to play but be restricted”. I think this is a good idea, but lots of games are want to attract more players, so they will not limit the time of the game, and they do not want lose any players. So that’s is impossible for game designers to design a game which is avoid people playing games for a long time, that means they will lose their jobs, just kidding. In addition, people who are like playing games are not easy to stop to play games, so that’s why I think that games are easy to make people addicted.

Reply
  2. pinyue@uoregon.edu
    February 27, 2015 at 11:27 pm (9 years ago)

Hi, I think I am the person who is crazy to play online games as you described. For your question, I think the most of popular games can make people addicted while bad game cannot. I think McGonigal’ argument is rational based on her explanations. She argues playing games is beneficial to four aspects, which are blissful productivity, social fabric, urgent optimism, and epic meaning. You disagree with her argument because your friends who playing games much are lazy and crazy. Your argument is right and I am also lazy. Therefore, I think if we want to resolve the actual problems through playing games we need to bring certain objectives to play game not just for fun. In addition, the game designers need to make sure the gamers will not be addicted by the games.

Reply
  3. hfalk@uoregon.edu
    March 1, 2015 at 7:06 pm (9 years ago)

I honestly think that people can become addicted to anything. If you think about it, before video games, people were addicted to other things whether that be cards or sports or anything for that matter. It is interesting to think that years from now people will be addicted to some new thing that is out there. Video games are addicting now because they are still fairly new. I do not necessarily get the enjoyment of them, you basically do the same thing every single time you play. The only way for the vast majority of people to play video games is to make a bad video game. Even if you do that, there will still be people out there who will play the game. Because of today’s societies, there is an obsessive nature when it comes to technology. Technology is forever evolving and it is hard to put a stop to something that is progressively moving forward.

Reply
  4. klarkmonte
    November 2, 2023 at 10:31 pm (6 months ago)

If you, like me, have struggled with software creation issues before, you should definitely try outsourcing development offshore outsourcing software development. I am thrilled with the professionalism and efficiency of the team that took on my project. It’s like an inspiration for business – I recommend it to everyone!

Reply
  5. Huide John
    November 19, 2023 at 3:51 am (6 months ago)

hey

Reply
  6. Sergiy CharlesDaniels
    December 27, 2023 at 10:46 am (5 months ago)

Delving into the present-day impact of the Chernobyl disaster, https://chernobylstory.com/blog/is-chernobyl-still-radioactive/ discusses the current levels of radioactivity in the region. Through in-depth analysis and scientific insights, the blog provides a nuanced understanding of the ongoing environmental conditions. Readers gain clarity on the safety measures in place and the continuous efforts to monitor and mitigate radiation risks.

Reply
  7. stella singleton
    January 1, 2024 at 6:32 am (4 months ago)

By the way, if you’re searching for the perfect gift for your loved ones or relatives, look no further than amberhats.com! 🎁 We have a fantastic selection of unique and artistic gifts that are sure to make any occasion extra special. Check it out and find something that speaks to the heart!

Reply
  8. Kenneth Gauthier
    February 14, 2024 at 11:56 am (3 months ago)

I recently used Capstone Project’s services https://www.capstoneproject.net/ for my final year project, and I’m thoroughly impressed! Their team went above and beyond to understand my requirements, delivering a comprehensive and well-researched capstone project that exceeded expectations. Their dedication to excellence sets them apart. I can’t recommend them enough!

Reply
  9. Devid1945
    February 19, 2024 at 9:47 am (3 months ago)

OJO Login opens https://play-ojo.casinologincanada.com/ the door to a world of thrilling entertainment and limitless possibilities. With a seamless and user-friendly interface, OJO offers players easy access to a vast array of exciting games and experiences. Whether you’re a seasoned player or new to the scene, OJO provides a dynamic platform where users can immerse themselves in an engaging and rewarding environment. Navigate through the login process effortlessly and embark on an unforgettable journey filled with excitement and adventure.

Reply
  10. Kenneth Gauthier
    February 21, 2024 at 5:15 am (3 months ago)

I can’t thank Analyzer – latest no deposit bonus codes enough for their invaluable service. With their help, I’ve discovered numerous online games with free signup bonus real money no deposit offers that I would have otherwise missed out on. Their platform is a game-changer for anyone looking to stretch their game budget further.

Reply