Beats & Brushstrokes: a Q & A with Emily Hope Dobkin

{ BEATS & BRUSHSTROKES } Q & A with Emily Hope Dobkin

1. As ELAN’s 2011 co-chair and committee lead for the last Beats & Brushstrokes event, what did you gain most from this whirlwind experience?

I gained a true sense of what it means to facilitate a community collaboration. Along the way I gained some very important management skills; managing peers, managing art, managing a space, managing food & beverages; managing  it all on top my own personal graduate work.  Finding the balance was not easy, but I certainly apply what I learned through my experience last year to my work I do today in managing community programs. It was incredibly valuable to help coordinate an event such as while learning arts administration; putting theory into practice outside the academic setting is so important and the way I learn best.

2.  In just three words, how would you describe the annual ELAN event, Beats & Brushstrokes?

Creative, Homegrown, Swift

3. We know that some amazing and unique re-purposed record and record sleeve pieces were collected last year and put up for silent auction. We also know that it’s hard to pick favorites, but if you had to, what were some of yours?

Ah, this is indeed difficult. There was a wider range in work that was submitted last year that really had me jazzed.  I personally appreciated those who challenged the “traditional” form of making record art. I suppose there is no traditional form of making record art….but there were some really excellent pieces that took a less expected approach. One was a wall hanging woven completely from record sleeves (all from children’s records), another used cut record sleeves to craft a gramophone that actually contained speakers to plug an iPod into, and lots of beautiful jewelry;  earrings, bracelets, a necklace—all repurposed from records. I must add that simply the range in book arts was incredible—everything from a teeny tiny, intricately crafted miniature book, to bound notebooks to a really lovely fold up book that used both records and record sleeves.  Thinking about it all is inspiring me to go beyond this year and craft up something wildly creative.

4.  As artists and creative-minds are starting to ponder what to make with their used records and sleeves, what tips and tricks can you give to those attending the Art Making Parties?

Let the rhythm move you. Seriously.  Listen to some good music, enjoy the community, and just make something. Don’t worry if it makes sense. It will to someone.

5. We know you are traveling all the way from your new home in Santa Cruz to be at this year’s event. What are you looking forward to most?

Seeing the Eugene community further sink it’s roots into this event.  And vice versa; seeing ELAN further sink it’s roots into the Eugene community. I love the communal aspect of this event, from inviting locals to contribute art, to forging partnerships in getting a space, food, beverages, music, to inviting the entire community to take part in the evening…some really great collaborations have been made in the past, and I know there are even more being formed now that will last beyond this year’s Beats & Brushstrokes. Each year, it just keeps growing and growing. I am so excited to see how this event further grows, and takes new twists and creative spins. AND—I am excited to bid, to be back, and to dance!