A Student Guide to Life in Eugene
Welcome to Eugene! The following information has been compiled to ease new student transition to the University of Oregon and Eugene area.
How to get around:
- Bus… Eugene’s LTD Bus System is free with your UO Student ID!
- Bicycle… Eugene is extremely bike friendly, with a plethora of bike paths (see bike maps here) and plenty of bicycle racks around the UO campus.
- Drive… The UO campus and surrounding area have free two-hour parking and paid meters. You can also purchase a UO Campus Parking Permit good for the academic year.
Where to find housing:
From university graduate housing to apartment and home rentals throughout the Lane County region, Eugene and neighboring Springfield offer many options for housing. Many undergraduates reside in the apartments surrounding campus, especially to the west between 13th St & 19th St. Southeast Eugene (due south of campus, between Hilyard & Agate) is a nice area near various parks and trails. The Valley River Center area, while a bit further out, offers park and ride service with LTD’s Breeze route, making the many apartment areas north of campus accessible. The ever popular Whitaker Neighborhood is an eclectic artist area close to many of the popular restaurants and venues. Campus is not as easily accessible from the River Road, Barger, and Santa Clara neighborhoods, but they do offer nice and affordable housing.
The following websites are good starting points for apartment hunting:
- Craigslist Eugene
- Emerald Property Management
- Principle Property Management
- Register Guard Classifieds
- Stewardship Properties
- UO Graduate Housing
- Umbrella Properties
Where to work:
- The UO Career Center lists on-campus, work-study, and part-time employment opportunities.
- The UO Graduate School posts current GTF Openings.
- Many local organizations offer practicum, volunteer, and internship opportunities. Attend our Community Partner Reception or peruse our list of local organizations to get connected to the local arts and culture scene.
Where to eat:
Some local favorites include:
- Agate Alley Bistro
- 5th Street Public Market
- McMenamins East 19th Street Cafe
- McMenamins High Street Brewery & Cafe
- Off the Waffle
- Papa’s Soul Food Kitchen
- Pizza Research Institute
- Sweet Life Patisserie
- Sweet Basil
- The Vintage
Check out the Eugene Weekly’s Chow! for more ideas.
Where to study:
- On-Campus… Knight Library & AAA Library (part of the UO Library System), Erb Memorial Union (EMU), Buzz Cafe, AAA Hearth
- Off-Campus… The Beanery, Eugene Coffee Company, Eugene Public Library, Vero Espresso House, Peruginos, Wandering Goat Coffee Company
Where to play:
Want to find out how to plug into the local Eugene/Springfield arts community? Or just want to know what’s happening this weekend? On the Eugene A Go-Go online arts hub you can stay connected and promote yourself and your art/music events. Anyone can add content – just create an account and create your own artist page (if you are an artist of any discipline) to promote what you do. List art events in the local calendar and check for artist resources and opportunities in the Engage Opportunities section. It’s all free and brought to you by the Arts and Business Alliance of Eugene (the UO is a founding partner!)
Local venues are looking for artists to fill their spaces, arts groups are looking for volunteers, and we know you are looking for events to attend. It’s a great way to keep your finger on the pulse of the arts in Eugene. And there’s more: the site is connected to Facebook and also the KLCC online events calendar so you can add your event automatically to their site.
From theater to music and visual art, it’s all on one site. Whether you are looking for entertainment on a Friday night, or where to take out of town guests for some culture, You’re good to Go-Go!
- Make Art… Clay Space, Eugene Glass School, Eugene Textile Center, M.E.C.C.A., Oregon Art Supply, UO Craft Center
- See Art… Ditch Projects, D.I.V.A., Eugene A Go-Go, First Friday Art Walk, Hult Center for the Performing Arts ($10 student tickets to the Eugene Ballet, Opera, Symphony, and Oregon Mozart Players), Last Friday Art Walk, Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art, LaVerne Krause Gallery, Lord Leebrick Theatre, Maude Kerns Art Center
- Cinema… Bijou Art Cinemas, Cinema Pacific Film Festival, David Minor Theater, Eugene International Film Festival
- Music Venues… Cuthbert Amphitheater, Sam Bond’s Garage, Willamette Valley Music Festival, WOW Hall, Cozmic Pizza
- Festivals, Markets, & Outdoor Events… Cinema Pacific Film Festival, Eugene International Film Festival, Saturday Market, Willamette Valley Music Festival
- Parks & Recreation… City of Eugene Parks, Eugene Running Trails, Eugene Yoga, Spencer Butte, UO Recreation Center, UO Outdoor Program
- Craft Beers & More… Beer Stein, Cornucopia, Eugene City Brewery, Max’s Tavern, McMenamins, Ninkasi Brewing Company, Sam Bond’s Garage
- Oregon Wine Country… www.oregonwinecountry.org
Additional campus resources:
- Ducks Dine On Plan
- Office of Financial Aid
- UO Graduate School
- UO Health Center
- Office of Student Life