Student Survey – Stacey Ray

1. Where did you move from to attend the UO? And, briefly describe how you landed on the UO AAD program. Any interesting, funny, anecdotal stories/details are welcome.  I moved to Eugene a few weeks ago from Bozeman, Montana. I grew up in a very small MT farmtown and completed my undergraduate studies at Montana State University. While at MSU I become very interested in art institutions and art curating/programming and decided I wanted to move towards this focus. University of Oregon was an obvious choice for my graduate studies….a mature Arts Administration program in a place where I have always wanted to live!

2. Area of concentration in AAD?  Museum Studies & Community Arts. I am also a candidate for the Nonprofit Management Certificate.

3. Describe your knowledge and use of technology systems.  I am mostly familiar with PC (very limited Mac experience; tend to stay away from Apple), Android smart phones, tablets (own Samsung smart phone and tablet). Quite a bit of experience with digital cameras on an introductory level….own a Nikon DSLR and have taken basic courses in film photography and digital photography. Not much experience with video/audio but have used video material in promotion and marketing. Basic experience with printers and scanners.

4. What software do you commonly use?  Adobe Photoshop (photo editing, creating new images and marketing materials), Adobe Bridge (photo editing/organizing), QuickBooks (contact, inventory, sales management), Sage ACT (contact database), Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel – documents, presentations, databases, lists, budgeting, worksheets, mailings), website CMS (managing and creating website content and media).

5. Do you have any graphic design or media production/management experience? Have you taken any graphic design or media production courses?  I do have some graphic design experience and knowledge, and have done some design work on my own, but for the most part I have worked with a contracted graphic designer. For the past six years I have worked in positions managing marketing/design/promotional content and imagery and have consulted with several different graphic designers to develop digital and printed materials. I have been responsible for assembling content and overseeing the design and development of various types of printed and digital materials for Banovich Art and the Exit Gallery, including but not limited to: posters, brochures, magazine ads, catalogs, logos, invitations, as well as the design and development of a new website (I directed all of the design/marketing content and direction for these materials but in general did not perform the actual design work). I coordinated the marketing materials and website for the BWF Beast Benefit, an exclusive fundraising event and silent auction. I recently created a logo and weebly site titled Reclaim Your Wedding through which I sold items leftover from my own wedding as well as market my hand-made flower bouquets. I did design the Reclaim logo and website on my own.

6. Know anything about typography?  Just from a basic level and from working with several graphic designers.

7. Do you use Web 2.0 apps?   Yes. Constant Contact, social media sites, Gmail, Basecamp, Weebly, WordPress, YouTube as well as many different smart phone applications.

8. Do you use Social Media?  Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Snapchat, Instagram, LinkedIn, Yelp

9. Tell me something unique about yourself.  I love fly fishing (and everything about the outdoors). I cross country ski, hike, bike, hunt, fish, camp, kayak and generally just like to be outside. Montana is my playground.

10. Anything else?  I am very excited about the course. I have been fairly involved in marketing/communications and am looking forward to applying practical knowledge to many of the areas in which I have already gained experience, and can’t wait to see what crosses over and what is brand new! I definitely want to learn more about design and typography so that I can feel comfortable doing more of this on my own.