Hello FIG!

Welcome to the No Impact Experiment class blog. Both Kim and I will be using this throughout the term to post updates, relevant news articles and anything else that may help us all examine the connections between media and environmental stewardship.

You will also be using this blog on a weekly basis to post your thoughts and reflections on No Impact Man. Your blog post can be informal, there is no word count to meet or certain typeface to use. Simply post your thoughts on the issues that are discussed in the book, how the issues relate to you as a college student and how they relate to the world at large.

Looking forward to reading your posts!

-Casey

17 thoughts on “Hello FIG!

1. To comment, follow these steps:
    1. Visit the class blog (http://blogs.uoregon.edu/noimpact/)
    2. Click on the speech bubble of the week’s post
    3. Put in your name, and post your illuminating and profound thoughts on the subjects we discuss each week. You may not see your comment appear immediately, but as long as you press “Post Comment” at the bottom of the page, I’ll see it and approve it.
    4. VOILA! All done!

2. As the author wrote more and more about himself and his wife in the first chapter of his book, I tried to make connections between the two characters. On one hand, I am an eco-friendly maniac who forced her parents to buy three different trashcans for different recyclable wastes, but on the other hand, I am a consumerist-aholic who loves her Forever21 and Tommy Hilfiger shopping sprees. At this point in time during Chapter 1, I have to admit that I am more like Michelle than I am Colin because even though I do make attempts to make less of an impact on our environment, more of my time consists of buying throwaway materials and ordering cheap Chinese take-out than worrying about which trash cans my Styrofoam and plastic goes into everywhere I go. Like Michelle, I have a few people in my life that motivate me to become more environmentally friendly, and I am working on making my impact on the environment become less and less every day.

During Chapter 2, I was really excited to see that Michelle was the one keeping her head in the game as Colin was having doubts within the first few hours of his No Impact Experiment. In this chapter, I connected more with Michelle because even though I might have a consumerist mind set, once I commit to something I do everything in my power to continue on to see the final result. I admire Michelle for that particular characteristic, and I am excited to see how far she will go to push her husband into realizing he is making the right decision even though it might be the hard decision.

Colin is trying to match his work with his values by attempting the No Impact Experiment. I feel that he was trying to be environmentally conscious within New York City before the experiment, but he realized that, unfortunately, this doesn’t seem to be cutting it for reducing wastes and green house gases. Like Colin, I can work towards making my work as a student align with my values by familiarizing myself more with issues about the environment, such as taking more environmental classes. I could also possibly take classes that have a differing viewpoint from my own to fully learn about the two sides of the environmental argument. I don’t think I would go as far as Colin to align my work with my values, but by making tiny steps—like using a handkerchief instead of a Kleenex or paper towel like we see Colin struggle to do in Chapter 2—I can significantly lower my environmental impact on the world around me.

• That’s a very astute realization. A lot of us would like to think we’re more like the crusading, passionate protagonist (Colin) but in reality I think Michelle represents a much more realistic depiction of the challenge. When Colin is proposing the Experiment, he has no idea what is going to be involved in actually complying with it, while Michelle seems to hold some reservations that are founded in a basis of truth.

In order to change their consumerist ways (and in order to change our own) we have to fight against a whole culture that has been built up around us for years in this country. Doing that is not as simple as cutting out paper towels (although reducing your impact that way is also commendable) but involves a much deeper, cultural shift. You will begin to see this unfold in the Beaven family as the book continues.

Casey

3. I was really impressed with the quality of the guest post I submitted to this site. The editors were very professional and responded quickly to my queries. I appreciate the effort they put in to make sure my post was up to their standards. Highly recommended!
    CGPO2O

4. Thank you for the opportunity to post on this site. I look forward to learning more about the topics discussed here and engaging with the community.

Website-
    Dp Training