Week 3 Blog Post

1. What does “local” food mean to you? What aspects of your food’s production,  growth and the distance it travels should be important when considering lowering the impact of your food?

2. Did you make an effort to pay attention to your food choices this week? Did you find it easy to choose local foods while living in the dorms?

Happy week 3!

24 thoughts on “Week 3 Blog Post

1. In my opinion, local food is any food that did not have to travel a long way for me to purchase it. It is also natural, healthy food that is not processed or frozen. Local food should be grown in Eugene rather than transported from Fiji or some other country that is far away. However, if my only option is food that is not local, it is okay to purchase it. Eating locally does not mean you need to be extremely strict about your diet. If we were all to focus on buying, preparing and eating local food, it would lower our impact on the environment greatly.

I have found it easy to pay attention to my food choices this week because it is something I already do. There are many fruits offered on campus that are locally grown. I buy a lot of my food from Market of Choice and store it in my fridge, so that is another way I focus on buying local.

• This insightful article highlights the importance of local food and its impact on our environment. By emphasizing the benefits of consuming food that is grown closer to home, the author encourages readers to consider the environmental footprint of their dietary choices.
      The author’s perspective on local food being natural, healthy, and not processed or frozen adds a valuable dimension to the discussion. Their suggestion that focusing on buying, preparing, and eating local food can significantly lower our impact on the environment is both thought-provoking and inspiring.
      The article shares a personal experience of how the author has already integrated local food choices into their lifestyle, making it more accessible and achievable for others. By sharing their positive experience with locally sourced fruits and shopping at stores like Market of Choice, the author encourages readers to explore similar options in their own lives, ultimately contributing to a more sustainable and eco-friendly future.khalidelarbi———-business for sale

2. “Local” food means to me that farmers near by are raising crops and providing back to the community. It also adds to the aspect that it is more eco-friendly by saving materials that would normally be used in packages. Also, it saves money that would go into the packages that would just end up in the landfill. Lowering the impact of food should mean buying more locally, to in fact, lower the distance traveled and this goes hand and hand with the wasted packaging that would waste materials, and not be eco0 friendly.

I payed closer attention to my food choices this week. Actually, right after our discussion on friday morning last week I walked back to Global Scholars to get food and noticed right away the sign by the fruit stating that it was all local grown here in Eugene. I wish I could add the picture of the sign I took a picture of on here, but the sign said the fruit (peaches, apples, pears, cherries, berries and peppers), vegetables, nuts, honey, and jams were all fresh form the local farms here in Eugene. This made it easier for me to buy local foods noticing this, and I bought a lot of fruit this week that was locally grown.

3. “Local” food to me, means food that has grown here in the local community that is not a GMO and was grown naturally and organically. When I am thinking about lowering my impact on food, I think about whether it has been shipped across the country or if it was made just down the street. By eating locally grown food, it benefits my community and the people in it. It may be more expensive but I am helping others and lowering the impact on the environment in regards to the trucks it came on or unnecessary packaging. It is not only healthier in a sense but also rewarding to know you have made less of an impact on the environment.

I did make an effort on the food choices I had this week. I tried to look where it was made if it had packaging on it or I tried to ask others if they knew if it was locally grown. It is not easy finding local foods in the dorms because there is not a label on everything and even the cooks are unsure where it came from. I think if students where to know if the food they were eating was locally grown it would encourage them to buy more products outside of the dining halls to help the community. On the weekends I like to walk around the farmers market and it’s nice buying fruits and vegetables I know that was locally produced here in Eugene.

4. To me, “local” food is food that has been either grown or raised near to wherever I am. It is not food that has been transported 1500 miles from air, land, or sea. Local food is generally healthier, fresher and dense with more nutrients. Local food should be grown/raised in areas that local consumers are familiar with. A lot of people would prefer to eat healthier food that they were familiar with but it’s not that easy. The problem many, including myself, have is the fact that we, as consumers, aren’t always told where the food comes from. The fact that most locally grown food is sold at farmer’s markets instead of grocery stores also makes it inconvenient for the consumer to purchase because it appears out of the way and harder to get to.

Over the past week I wondered a lot about where the food I was consuming came from. Although I didn’t get the opportunity to personally ask a worker about the locality of food, I did come to some realizations. I realized a lot of the dairy products I was buying came from Umpqua Dairy, which is located in Southern Oregon and I would consider that very local. I also decided to go onto the “Dash” website that provides information about housing and dining here at the University of Oregon. I found a tab that was labeled “Sustainable Dining.” Apparently, the school has 25 local farms providing them with produce for all dining halls. Unfortunately, I am still unaware of how much produce is local. Personally, I think it’s still tough to find locally grown/raised foods on campus because they aren’t always labeled. I usually end up buying groceries from Market of Choice.

5. To me local food means that the production, processing, and distribution had little impact. This food would not be enhanced with any chemicals, it would be transported a small distance to save gas and have little air pollution, and likewise the consumer would not have to waste resources to retrieve it. Local foods are important because they are healthy for the consumer and it bring a community together at farmers markets and such. This would also help a lot of small farmers trying to make a living in the area and would build self reliant food economies. Also, farmers markets are usually cheaper than buying genetically modified and packaged foods at supermarkets, although many food ate supermarkets are still great.

Honestly, keeping track of the foods I eat is difficult for me as I love food and need to eat a lot. I have bought a lot of fruit and salads on campus which I know are grown locally in Oregon, but in terms of the meats I am eating, it is hard to find people who can tell you where the food is from. The milk I drink does say that it is not treated with hormones which I consider a good thing. I have also been going to a local market just at the edge of campus which is a great place to get organic, healthy, and local grown food.

6. In my opinion a locally grown food means a food that is grown near enough to where you buy it that it has very little environmental impact when bringing it to where you bought it. It also means the food is natural and healthy and isn’t processed in anyway. Local food should be grown pretty close to Eugene instead of being grown in a far off country where it has to be flown here. Eating locally benefits the community that we live in and has a lesser impact on the environment. I am lowering my impact on the environment by saving a trip in a truck and saving the unnecessary packaging.

I did put an effort into eating more locally this week. In some dorms it is easier to tell what is locally grown because there is a sign up about it. But in other dorms there aren’t any signs up about it and the cooks usually do not know. I know that the school has a lot of local farms providing them with the food that they use in the dining halls but it is hard to figure out which food that is. I know that a lot of the fruit and vegetables are locally grown but besides that I am not really sure. I wish that the foods were better marked so that I could be sure that what I am eating was locally grown.

7. To me, local food means any food that was grown in the surrounding area. For most areas, this would probably entail mostly local fruits and vegetables and maybe some local beef or other meats from livestock farms. However, just because it is local doesn’t mean it is completely eco-friendly. Some food takes a lot more energy to produce and get to your dinner plate than others, and this is a good thing to try to keep in mind when you’re choosing between different local farms. Local food doesn’t have to travel as far to get to you, but depending on how it is grown and/or processed is a big part of the picture. Knowing if farmers use pesticides, how they treat their animals, and any other methods that are used are all important pieces of information. In the book, Colin not only eats local, he also researches and even visits the farms he buys his food from. I think anyone serious about eating local and reducing their impact as much as possible should make an effort to do the same.

This week, I did make an effort to pay attention to my food choices. A lot of the eateries on campus have local produce, but when I asked where the ingredients in the dishes came from, it wasn’t always as clear. I biked down to the Saturday market and was impressed with the variety of local farms. There was everything from fresh produce to raw meat, all grown/raised in the Eugene area. I also did some shopping at Market of Choice and they always have local vendors in there giving samples of their product. They also have a lot of locally grown food labeled on the shelves. I actually downgraded my meal plan because I wanted to make more of my own food and not rely as heavily on campus food, and this gives me an even better opportunity to eat local.

8. I believe that local foods are locally grown in a state and then sold in the same state. If you are eating or buying locally grown food it should just be in the same state. It is also healthy, natural, and has little or no preservatives. If the food has been frozen or traveled a long way from the state in which it has been grown in, I don’t think it is locally grown.

I did make an effort this week to eat food that is locally grown or something that has little to no preservatives. I ate a lot of fruits and vegetables and no foods that have been frozen. I found it very difficult to eat locally grown food while in college because there isn’t anything saying that the food is or isn’t locally grown. If the chefs and other food staff told us the food is locally grown or bought locally grown food it would be much easier to eat locally grown food.

9. In food production, a few issues must be considered in order to make the most low-impact choice. First, make sure your food is grown locally! By choosing food grown on farms that are close to the point of sale, you are opting out of causing stress on the environment by the long-distance transportation some foods travel to reach a destination. Next, you can consider how your produce is grown. Organically grown foods are likely to cause less impact than non-organically grown foods. When no pesticides/insecticides/herbicides are used in farming, there will be no runoff of those chemicals into our water supply. Also, when purchasing foods, be conscious of the packaging used! Oftentimes, you can find bulk foods that are similar in price and quality to packaged foods. Using glass jars instead of plastic bags was a good alternative that Colin used for purchasing his bulk foods.

Through observation, I’ve realized that much of the food in the various dining halls is not local. I’m most likely to grab a salad at the Dux Bistro for lunch, a banana for a snack, or a bar. So, although I choose to make healthy choices for my body most of the time, those choices do not necessarily equate to environmental health. Bananas have to travel a long distance to arrive in Oregon, and health bars are always wrapped in some sort of plastic. Though I wasn’t able to find many local foods, I always chose to have tofu on my salads, thus lessening my global impact by not contributing to meat consumption!

10. Local food to me means that it didn’t have to travel very far to get to the market or to get to your home. Food that’s natural and wasn’t processed with unnatural chemicals. Having food grown locally would be better off then having food sent from thousands of miles away. All the gas wasted impacts the environment. We want natural healthy foods for our diet. I’m not saying we should just buy local foods, but try to at least have some groceries to lower impact.

I did try to watch what I ate, but Friday afternoon was where I made my first mistake to buy pizza while being out with friends. After the first couple bites I remembered and was instantly hit with guilt. Saturday was again a day I forgot to pay attention and ended up eating junk food. The only thing I can say was that in the evening for dinner I had home made hamburgers, the only local food I ate was the tomatoes that had grown from my garden. The rest of the week I did try though to watch what I ate. Even though I live in home where I have more access to local foods, I find it a challenge to do so.

11. I think many times, people confuse “local” and “organic” foods. They could be similar in some ways, but completely different in others. To me, local is food produced or grown near me or in my community. I have thought about ways to lower the impact of my food and it is definitely important to consider the local-ness of what I consume. Although organic foods are better for my body in the sense that is natural, if I have to ship it from another country, is it really worth it? Eating locally seems more related to sustainability and allows me to be a citizen first and a consumer second.

This week I have payed more attention to the labeling on fruits or where my snacks come from. What I noticed was in Grab N’ Go, the dorm grocery store, there are many “natural” and “organic” products, but less of the “grown here in Eugene” ones. It is what I expected to find, but the Umpqua Dairy products did stand out to me because I wouldn’t find those back home in Hawaii. It turns out that Umpqua Dairy is a company from southern Oregon, which is a lot more local than it coming from another state. It was also coincidence that the ASUO Street Faire ended up being this week, but I was able to eat locally through that. As this week is coming to an end, I came to the conclusion that eating locally on a day to day basis in the dorm is very difficult for me.

12. I think “local” food means it’s probably produced within 100 or so miles of one’s location. I think locally grown food is healthier and more environmentally friendly because it’s less driving, which in turn puts less pollutants in the air. Also, I enjoy the farmer/customer interaction and helping them keep their business.
    I did my best to pay attention to the food I had this week. Unfortunately, I did not have the opportunity to ask a worker where the food was made but I’m generally not a big meat-eater so I did not have a problem taking that out this week so I stuck with fruits and vegetables. I few of the items I had this week said locally grown on the packaging but doing all locally grown food for a week was a bit of a challenge especially not having a car and living in the dorms.

13. 1.Eating locally emphasizes on foods that are produced, processed and consumed in a general area, thus benefiting a local community. By cutting out extensive transportation, the amount GHG’s is reduced by shortening the time it takes to reach the consumer. Alongside, local food can help support a local area economically and environmentally.

2. I did not personally go out of my way to try to eat locally, but I found that a few things I already ate were from Eugene. This included select fruits and a trail mix I always have in my dorm

14. When I think of “local food”, I immediately think of small local farmers who grow organic crops. However, this is not always the case, because a nearby factory farm could also be considered local food. Generally speaking though, I think there is definitely a positive connotation when people think of “local food”. Local food is considered to be healthier, and produced in more ethical ways. This goes without mentioning the fact that it also takes less energy to ship from place to place. It is important to realize the effects that shipping food long distances has, not only on the quality of the food, but also the impact it has on the environment.

I tried my best to pay attention to my food choices this week, but that was really all I could do. Trying to find local foods while eating on campus is pretty difficult, so I mainly stuck to what was available. I ate a lot of salads and fruit this week, but I probably could have tried harder to find local food as well.

15. Growing up in Portland, Oregon, local food is everywhere, and many people even grow their own food. My family lives on a good size lot, so we have our own chickens for eggs, and we grow almost all our own vegetables and fruits. So local food to me is basically right out of my backyard or from my neighbors who also have their own gardens. But my family definitely likes to enjoy other foods not available to us close by, such as bananas, oranges, coffee, etc. Therefore I do not consider these local foods because they had to be imported from far away places, instead of a truck drive away from a farm in Oregon, or a few steps from my doorway. Not only does the transportation have an impact on the environment when we get foods from far away places, but also how it is produced can have a huge effect on ourselves, and the planet. Such as mass production of GMO crops, pesticides, fertilizers, meat farms, and other practices that industry has adopted, should be taken into consideration. Therefore, when trying to lower your impact, do not only eat foods close to home, but ones that are organic, non-GMO, and meat from animals that are treated well.

I live off campus so most of the food I eat is from the grocery store. I shop at Market of Choice which is also helpful in buying locally because they have labels on their natural and organic foods, and they specify where and what farm these products are from. With a college student budget, and the food options that are not local are the cheaper ones, it can definitely be a challenge. But when possible I try to buy the organic option, or dairy products from Tillamook, Oregon because that is local food.

16. When I reflect on what exactly “local” food means to me, the first images that come to mind are ones of the extensive garden in my own backyard in California. Growing up, my family has always grown our own vegetables, olives, and citrus fruit. This was not only a way of staying healthy and being eco-friendly, but also a means of staying connected to each other. I feel that by shopping for locally grown products, this feeling of interconnectedness between producers and consumers can expand throughout a community, changing the way we as a society view food. The blind consumption would surely decrease if we knew where and how our dinner made its way to our table. Also, the closer to home something is produced, the less impact it will have in regards to shipping, and often packaging as well – rarely are plastic cartons of locally grown strawberries seen at farmers markets. When trying to lower the impact of your food, I believe all of these aspects are important; it shouldn’t have to travel great distances to get to you, it should come with little to no packaging, and ideally you would know the techniques used in its production.

With all of this in mind, trying to eat locally this week while living in the dorms proved to be tricky. While much of the fruit was labeled as locally grown, a lot of other things, like bread products, were not. Because I usually eat a lot of fresh produce anyway, I was able to stay on a mostly local track, but there were times when I just wasn’t able to make it work. As we talked about last Friday, there seems to be evidence that a lot of other products are from the area as well, but that information is rarely stated. However, I would happily make local choices if my options were clearer or I knew how to find the answers for myself.

17. Food is something that all humans need. In this modern day and age one can buy exotic fruit at any grocery store. It is more then just fruit, it is everything from grapes to palm oil. I prefer to buy locally. At home in Portland there were tons of farmers markets. We bought our salmon from a Native American who caught it in the Columbia. Local food is important. A couple of years ago I was in Burgerville a chain local to the NW. They pride themselves on using Oregon fruit for their smoothies. But I saw a box that was labeled “California.” I really dislike it when corporations aren’t honest and exploit people.

To tell the truth I totally forgot about it. I always compost though. Composting is very important. At my old school I made a worm bin compost for all of the leftovers. Here at the UO I always compost in the dorm halls.

18. Local food—to me—means food grown in my area. I know that living in the Pacific Northwest, I can’t get locally grown pineapple… I mean, are there really tropical fruits grown anywhere near me? I don’t think so. Local food—to me—means food that does not have to be flown across the country to have access to the plate in front of me. Literally eating only food grown in the Eugene/Springfield region of Oregon would be fantastic, but that is not reality. I’m not even sure what is grown locally, actually. Let’s say I am back in Indiana. The only thing that was grown in my town in Indiana was corn, soybeans, and—I’m not really sure if you could call this “growing,” but—dairy. First, the corn that is grown in Indiana is for feed, not for humans. Second, I don’t think a diet consisting of just edimame and dairy products would be the best option for me, or anyone in the community.

I surprisingly did not pay attention to my food choices this week. Because of sorority rush, I ate a ridiculous amount of my “on the go” favorites which included Pop-Tarts and Ocean Spray Cran-Grape juice—I had to use up points this week, so I ended up buying 21 points worth of juice because who doesn’t love juice? Not having time to pay attention to the foods I was eating led me to this conclusion. It’s not that Americans don’t care about the choices they make every day—whether or not that has to do with food choices or transportation choices. The real problem lies in our time management as a society. If I could manage my time well enough to go to the grocery store every day and pick out locally grown produce, you bet your bottom dollar that I would. Because of how chaotic our lifestyles are this day in age, I believe that the foods that are extremely unhealthy and not locally grown or made are the foods that are the most convenient. When we live lives that are on the go all the time, this is the end result. Maybe a part of our eco-friendly lives means managing our time wisely to be able to eat locally grown foods or have the time to find them in the stores.

19. Local food means to me some type of food grown in a farm need you that does not need a plane or train to get to you. It is in the same town as you and is grown fresh. I believe local food is an important way to eat and to live because it not only is it near you but it is grown in an environment where you believe is okay to be grown in. For insistence, I get a bit weirded out when I see food transported all around the world into my local market, which is in California. I actually like local food because it tastes way fresher to me. My grandpa use to grow tomatoes in his backyard all the time and they tastes way better than the ones in the market from somewhere else !

I did try and make an effort but some of the cashiers were unsure about where any of the food comes from. It isn’t easy to chose local foods because, since I am a freshman and I don’t have a car, its hard for me to drive to a local farmers market.

20. Local food is mostly self explanatory; it is food that was grown/produced locally. I noticed a lot of commenters saying that local food is generally healthier and is associated with being organic or not having GMOs. However, I think it’s important to remember that local farmers may have land near other farmers or even factories that contribute some unwanted pesticides or runoff to the “local farmer.” While buying locally is great for our economy and definitely benefits our taste buds, I think it is naive to assume that the local fruits and veggies are always organic, free of contaminants, and lacking GMOs.

As far as trying to track the local food at the university, I had trouble. Searching for locally grown items was never a part of my routine at home, so the thought rarely occurred to me when buying meals in the dorms. When I did remember, I was too shy to ask anyone if I didn’t see a label on my food; no success on my end.

21. The concept of local food is that it is food produced within a hundred miles from where you are eating it. So food that doesn’t have to be imported from out of state or ideally from out of your city.

Trying to watch what i ate this week was a challenge because of the dorm food. I felt as though i had no choice over what i ate and as far as finding out where it all came from that remained a mystery because the staff serving the food didn’t seem to have a clue.

22. Tham khảo bảng giá xây nhà giá rẻ của chúng tôi để biết thêm thông tin chi tiết. Xây dựng phú nguyễn với nhiều năm kinh nghiệm đảm bảo làm quý khách hài lòng trên mọi phương diện.