Week 2 Blog Post

After you read Chapter 3, post your thoughts on the blog about the following:

1. On page 42, Colin muses a bout why garbage bags are not transparent. What do you think would happen if bags were transparent?

2. On page 45, Colin talks about living in the moment. If we could all live MORE in the moment, how might our environmental impact be affected?

Have a great week!

31 thoughts on “Week 2 Blog Post

1. What I think would happen if garbage bags were transparent is it would gross people out. Trash is meant to not be seen, “to throw away”, because it is something pointless now. No one wants to see what are in people’s trash bags, well I know for I fact I don’t want to see through a trash bag, but it hides it away to be taken to the dump. But if the bags were transparent, I think it would change the view of what people throw away. If they see that their trash does not look healthy or they notice that they are wasting a lot of paper towels, maybe that will help them change their habit. Maybe they will start using rags instead of paper towels all the time, or they stop using plastic bottles and just fill a cup with water.

I try my best to live in the moment and to realize life is short, so make the best of it. This planet we live on should be treated with more care and respect. We shouldn’t be dumping chemicals into the ocean because they is a whole other world under the sea! If people did start to live in the moment, maybe they will realize they will change their ways because they have finally noticed what is going on around them.

• This thought-provoking article presents a compelling argument on the potential impact of transparent garbage bags on our environmental consciousness. By shedding light on the contents of our waste, it could encourage individuals to reevaluate their consumption habits and make more sustainable choices.
      The author’s emphasis on living in the moment and cherishing the shortness of life resonates deeply, as it reminds us of the importance of preserving our planet for future generations. The vivid description of the underwater world and the consequences of polluting our oceans serves as a powerful reminder of the interconnectedness of all life on Earth.
      This article encourages readers to reflect on their daily actions and consider the long-term effects of their choices on the environment. By fostering a deeper connection with our surroundings and living mindfully, we can collectively work towards a cleaner, healthier, and more sustainable future for ourselves and generations to come.khalidelarbi———-business for sale

2. When Colin recognizes the fact that his family had thrown away paper towel, paper cup, or straws one after another it made him question about the fact of why garbage bags are not transparent. The fact being that they aren’t transparent could be a marketing resource so that it continues to not make people realize their consumer level and the amount of supplies they are buying or the businesses they are providing to. If trash bags were all transparent, and everyone was able to see what was being thrown away, I think it would make people a lot more conscientious about the amount of paper, plastic, Styrofoam ect., that is actually used and wasted. The transparency would hopefully make people realize and want to make a difference by recycling or not consuming as much.

When Colin talks about living in the moment, I found this insight to go two different ways. Realistically, when people do “live in the moment” people don’t think about their actions as much as thinking things through to make the right choice. However, Colin relates this to the waste being thrown in the non-transparent trash bags and all of the supplies being wasted, so how much of our life is truly being wasted. On page 47, Colin’s quote stating “They don’t rush through “now” to get to later,” really inspired me to keep living in the now. This is later related to him carrying three trash bags down, in this moment, has no value, it’s just being wasted as the trash is. So in turn, I think that the environment would be better impacted if people lived in the now, making our environment clean now and not just thinking “oh someone else will make it better later,” because truly it is the “now” that impacts the future and I think it is important that people keep that in mind to help our environment.

3. If trash bags were transparent I believe the public would see trash in a different way. Maybe they wouldn’t consider it to be trash anymore or they would realize what they were throwing away shouldn’t be put in the trash but rather in a recycling bin or composted. They would be more inclined to notice what they are throwing away and begin to have other bins for trash, recycling for paper, cans, bottles, and compost.

People don’t realize how short life actually is until it is gone. If everyone were to live more in the moment I think they would realize what they are doing and how they are doing at every moment of the day. We would know how to act on things differently then we do now. We may start to realize how we can make our world a more environmentally friendly place to live and we may even live longer lives with a healthier environment.

4. Personally I believe that if garbage bags became transparent people would stop throwing things away that are not supposed to be town away. Things like paint, batteries and light bulbs would not appear in the general garage anymore because everyone can see if you are putting these things in the garbage. When taking out your trash, being able to see whats in the bag might make you stop and think about what you have put in there and make you more conscious and aware of what you are doing. Trash is also not transparent because it is not the nicest thing to have to look at throughout the day and one doesn’t want others to see what they put in their trash.

To live in the moment you should be conscious, make observations, and participate in everything that is presented around you. We need to be more aware so that we can really see how great and beautiful the world is. Humans have been on the earth for only a tiny amount of time and we should live in the moment and cherish what we have. By doing these things we will realize that we are constantly hurting the earth and the environment around us and will start to work to improve our actions. Don’t live thinking that every day is closer to the end, live being grateful that you wake up on earth every day. We just have to change our ways if we want to continue this way.

5. I think that if trash bags were clear people would think differently about what is in their trash. People would realize what they were throwing away and would think more carefully about throwing it away. People would think more about what they were throwing out and maybe recycle or compost it if they can. If trash bags were transparent it may help people change their habits.

If everyone were to actually live in the moment they would realize what they are doing every second of every day. If people really lived in the moment they would make decisions to help make our environment clean now instead of just thinking that it will eventually get fixed. If people lived more in the moment maybe they would realize that the changes they make to their life could actually really impact the environment in a positive way.

6. During Chapter 3 when Colin was sorting his garbage, he mentions that he cannot see through the garbage bags which disconnects him from really knowing what he is consuming and discarding into landfills. I believe that if garbage bags in our households were transparent it wouldn’t change a lot of what I throw away, but it would make me really have to think about what I am consuming. The problem, I believe, with today’s society is that we do have ways to recycle and try to lessen the amount of garbage that goes into landfills, but when we try to recycle—at least for me—we get so confused as to where the Styrofoam goes and what color of glass goes in which container of recycled materials. Almost every place I have lived there has been different rules on what is being recycled in which colored garbage cans and what is not, so a simple solution I have to offer is make everything universal, like the number system for example. Everyone knows that one comes before two. Different countries might say uno viene antes de dos, but it is the same concept, so if we could make recycling a little more “user friendly,” I believe that more people would recycle and not put as much into landfills as we are now.

As Colin was talking about living in the moment, it sparked some interest in how we as a society can change our daily lives to be a little more environmentally friendly by living in the moment. If we all lived in the moment more often than not I conclude that our environmental impact would severely lessen. Instead of grabbing food to go in plastic and Styrofoam containers and eating in our cars on the way to or from work and we actually sat down more and had a home cooked meal, we would lessen the carry-out packages we use daily.

7. When Colin dissected the contents of his family’s trash after just four days, he was forced to examine nearly all aspects of his lifestyle – everything from his diet to the way he had hoped to raise his daughter. Upon closer inspection, he found that his idealistic view of his own waste production was almost entirely falsified. I believe it is for this exact reason that garbage bags are not transparent; after all, ignorance is bliss. If everyone had to confront the contents of their garbage every time they took out the trash, I believe it would spur the desire to reduce waste. By frequently coming into contact with something so displeasing, it seems to me that the natural response would be to search for ways to make such encounters less unpleasant, whether it be through thorough recycling, composting, or other means.

To me, living in the moment is a mixed bag when it comes to our environment. On the positive side, living in the moment could lead to a more conscious society; one that cares just as much about their current actions as the end result. The “no time like the present” mentality could help spawn positive social change in areas such as cutting down on air pollution or the use of greener energy. However, I think it could potentially bring about a more wasteful society as well. Living in the present could lead people to believe that their current actions are separate and unrelated to future occurrences, allowing for belief that there are no consequences or fallout caused by their everyday choices. Personally, I don’t think it’s possible to entirely separate the two outcomes. There will inevitably be both good and bad executions, but as long as the positives outweigh the negatives I believe we would be moving in the right direction.

8. If garbage bags were transparent, I believe more people would be aware of what is going into our landfills and how much waste they are actually producing. Although you can tell how much you are throwing away by the size of your trash load, seeing other people’s garbage bags and what they are filed with could make you more aware of what is going into yours. If I see people doing something I don’t necessarily like, I make myself aware of it and try not to do what they are doing. Many people feel this way and if the garbage bags were clear people could change their outlook on garbage. Being “exposed” like that really makes you take public responsibility for your own lack of environmental awareness and draws you into action.

If we could all live more in the moment, I feel as if the environment would suffer in a way. We would not be thinking of the future and how that one cup of coffee you are drinking in a Styrofoam cup could be floating around the ocean for years on end. I think it is great that we think of the future and how our present actions determine what will happen.   If we do not think about the possible outcomes, it will effect us negatively one day. You can always keep in mind what we are doing to the environment, but still live in the moment and appreciate what is happening around us.  Retraining your self to be presently committed to the environment not only helps us achieve awareness, but ultimately improves the future of the environment.

9. Plastic bags are everywhere. They are on the roads, in the oceans and in the grocery stores. The reason they are so abundant is because they are given out willy nilly at grocery stores. In some states there is a tax on bags so people are inclined to bring their own reusable bags. I believe that transparency has a lot to do with why we use plastic bags. The whole point of a bag is to hold an object. The purpose is for the object to be hidden and out of sight out of mind. That is why we use them.

Being present in my surroundings are not my strongest suite. I am always onto the next thing. I think that everyone would benefit from living more in the present. The reason for this is that people would be more conscious of the decisions that they are making which would lead to a better world.

10. Trash bags are a form of distancing. Once something is thrown away, we do not have to think about it again. However, if trash bags were transparent, we would be constantly reminded about what we threw away and what items went to waste. We may even feel ungrateful and realize how much we take for granted. If we cannot see what we have wasted, there is no little or no guilt. Perhaps transparent trash bags would cause us to waste less food and recycle as much as we can. They may also force us to think about choices we make in our everyday lives, such as whether or not we are consuming healthy foods.

If we were to live more in the present moment, we would notice important events taking place around us. As a society, we are so worried about what everyone else is posting about that we are not focusing on what is going on in the present. Perhaps if we were more aware of our surroundings, and what our actions are doing to the environment, we would be more likely to take action. According to the book, happy people pay attention to the present moment and appreciate what they have around them. Therefore, if we would simply be grateful for all the wonderful things Earth has to offer, and look around and notice its beauty, we would most likely take better care of our environment.

11. I think it is so much easier to look at a black trash bag instead of actually looking at the amount of trash that I am putting into the Earth. I am very aware of what I put in, but for many people I think that trash bags are a way of hiding and distancing themselves from the problem. Transparent bags may be an eye-opener for many people, showing them how much can actually be reused or recycled in some way. My mother raised me to recycle bottles and reuse paper that only has printing on one side, but I know that some people don’t even do this. There are always going to be some people who will distance themselves as much as possible, people who will think selfishly and only for their benefit, but from my point of view, I think transparent bags will bring attention to our current waste problem. Hopefully individuals will realize what we can do differently in a simple action of putting our “waste” in the appropriate bin of recycling, compost, landfill, etc.

Living in the moment both has benefits and downsides to the environment in my opinion. By living in the moment, people will pay closer attention to every action that they take, but they would also not think about the future. A person might choose to use a paper cup, think about whether they should use a reusable mug, but decide on the paper cup that is convenient for the “now”. By thinking about the future, people will consider the next generations – their children, grandchildren, and so on. This may encourage them to make better decisions for the environment so that the future generation can live in a good world. On the other hand, futuristic thinking can provide an illusion that there is time to fix our environmental problems. This may also lead to passing the burden on to the next generation from the thinking of “they have more time to fix it, we don’t have to do it yet”.

12. I myself would be disgusted to see all the trash I throw collected and mixed. If everyone saw what was inside, they would see and realize that what they see before them is what goes to landfills. We could see what things we could have recycled and what scraps of food we could decompose with worms just like how Colin did. I have had experience seeing batteries spilling acid. Imagine everyone seeing at least one battery in their trash, then they would realize that batteries and other harmful objects really do have an affect on the environment.

Everyone goes out to beaches, rivers, hikes, and parks. We always comment on how beautiful the scenery is, but we don’t realize that what we are doing now will later have an affect and destroy what we are enjoying at the moment. If we would just stand there and admire what we are enjoying and compare it to other places we have seen on television, pictures, anything we would realize that it can happen to what we are seeing at the moment. We would actually have more people taking part to helping the environment and giving a positive affect. Like how Colin mentioned it’s not just “I” it’s a “we” problem. We have to be the ones to make and affect.

13. If plastic bags were transparent, I think we would definitely be more aware of the things we throw away. It’s one thing to throw something away into a big black trash bag and never have to see it again. If the bag was clear, we would visibly see everything waiting to be tossed into the landfill each week when the garbage gets picked up. It would force people to realize the magnitude of their waste. Depending on the person, I think people may either be pushed to reduce their waste or just make an effort to ignore the issue, because some people simply don’t want to change. However, industry doesn’t even give us the opportunity to see what would happen-they hide everything from us in nice, big, black bags, because instilling change seems to be the last thing they want to do.

If we could live in the moment, it would completely shift the way we view the environment and life in general. We’re constantly pushing to get somewhere, to be something, to gain something, and we often overlook the beauty of what we have in each moment. Just being able to stop and appreciate things would help people to realize what we may be missing out on. By slowing down, people may have the opportunity to get outside and enjoy nature, to see the environment we’re talking about firsthand. They might realize that it really isn’t about the next big toy or technology, and that they have been focusing on the wrong things. With a live in the moment mindset, the values of our society would shift completely and potentially bring about a sense of eco-awareness.

14. When author Collin Beavan brought up the idea of transparent garbage bags, it sparked a similar story in my mind. When one is little, (or any age really), they can easily make a large mess in their bedroom, but most often, they decide to shove their mess under their beds and in small crevices rather than dealing with the mess they originally created. It might be human nature for humans to distance themselves from problems they don’t want to address, but waste on the Earth is not one we can so easily suppress. The bed isn’t big enough to hide our mess anymore. If trash bags were clear, I believe that at the least, humans could at least be forced to look at the mess they are making. It could change how people dispose of things, how much they waste, and maybe even make them re-think their lifestyle.
    Just like the mess under our beds, humans like to hide the fact that time can pass by very quickly. People are running out of time, space, and Earth’s materials. Unfortunately, the thought of that scares most people rather than helping them realize we need to start working now, rather than later, to clean our mess. Many people are focusing on the future rather than now, so they fill their minds and schedules with everything but the imminent issues staring them in the face. If more people started focusing on the present instead of the future, not only would they possibly be able to work on some environmental issues, but they might also learn to slow down the processes of their lives and lean to enjoy the present as a gift.

15. I think if trash bags were transparent, Americans would be unpleasantly shocked about the amount of garbage we throw away daily. Throwing a bunch of black trash bags in a garbage can is in a way a bit more relieving than having transparent bags of all of the waste that one is putting into their bins. I think Americans feel less guilty with the black bags. However, I think if garbage bag companies decided to start making transparent bags, it may give Americans a wake up call to what harm they are creating with their accumulation of trash.
    I think if we all lived in the moment, the environment will ultimately crumble. Right now with the fast pace of technology, I believe Americans have become a bit more self-centered. While on one hand, technology is helping us gain knowledge within seconds, if we were to live in the moment and not think about the future, why would we want to become more knowledgeable or care about what happens in one hundred years when we are no longer here to make an impact? I think companies would be using the cheapest materials to make their products to make profit instead of thinking of what is most environmentally friendly. People would not be too concerned with wasting essentials such as water and I think recycling would not be of importance. Furthermore, I think it is beneficial for everyone to think ahead rather than live in the moment.

16. The idea of having transparent trash bags is certainly interesting, I’ve never even thought of the impact such a small change could make. If trash bags were transparent I personally think people would become a lot more conscious about what they throw out, with this in mind, people might have a change of heart and try to make a huge life change just like Colin and his family did. At the same time, a lot of people would more than likely keep up with the same habits that they are accustomed to. While I do think that this idea could spark change, it is going to take something monumental to get the results/change that we would like to see.

It was nice to read about Colin’s take on living in the moment, often times we get caught up fantasizing about the future rather than just living in the here and now. Unfortunately, I tend to find myself doing just that, worrying or thinking about what is yet to come. Living in the moment allows people to live more fulfilling lives, but this might come at a cost to our environment. People are more likely to go out and not worry about the consequences which can lead to harming the earth. Hopefully in time people will decide to change their lifestyles because of the dire consequences that will ensue.

17. If trash bags were made to be transparent the general public would be made more aware of exactly what and how much they are throwing away. It would show how wasteful we are with one-use items like tissue, diapers and paper towels. For some, it might just be unpleasant to look at but, for most people I think it would lead to being a more conscious consumer. When people are more conscious of their consumption habits they would be more likely to change them to a more sustainable existence. Ultimately it could help with the mass amounts of garbage created every day by people but, change cannot happen until the general public becomes aware and invested in making these changes. Whether or not formal policies could be made to help the issue change will not happen unless the general public demands it.

If all of society were to live more in the moment, I’m not sure the environment would be impacted in a positive way. Living in the moment implies not thinking or worrying about the future, and though this would lead to a happier public, it would take pressure off of lessening our impact for the future. I think a certain degree of foresight is necessary for the sake of our planet. However, living in the moment can help to get off the “hedonistic treadmill” of always wanting the next thing and never being truly content in the present moment. So living in the moment can be helpful to a certain degree but, to be environmentally responsible one must be able to anticipate and prepare for the future challenges ahead us.

18. The fact that trash bags aren’t transparent is something Ive never noticed. When Colin pointed this out in the book I began to think. The reason trash companies make their bags transparent is so first off people aren’t grossed out by all of the contents of their trash. Second off its so people don’t become ashamed of how much they waste on a daily basis. If people realized how much they were wasting they would obviously cut back on how many trash bags they would buy causing trash bag companies to lose money.

Living in the moment is something I’ve always tried to do. It’s almost impossible to accomplish now a days with all of the new technology. everyone seems to be sucked into their own world of social media. If we were all able to live in the moment more would be able to see the impact we were having on the environment. We would be able to stop and look around and appreciate the beauty of our world. We as people would be able to appreciate the beauty of nature that surrounds us.

19. The biggest reason why people are in denial about their impact on the environment with garbage is because of the classic statement, out of sight, out of mind. We throw away our filthy trash in bags that cover up our guilty actions, and then we work hard so parts of our paychecks go to shipping that awful waste as far away as it can be so we can forget about it. If people would see exactly everything they are wasting and throwing away to go sit in a giant landfill and fill our oceans, I believe people will start to think more about what they throw away, and the consequences of doing so.

I completely agree with Colin about learning to live in the moment. The reason why the people on this Earth, especially Americans, are so unhappy, is because we over work ourselves at jobs we hate, in hope that in the FUTURE we will be happy, instead of focusing on being happy NOW. Since we are so unhappy we turn to material objects that make us happy for a second, and so we turn into giant consumers which is effecting our environment heavily. If people these days could find happiness in what they do now, and in their families, friends and surroundings, I believe it would benefit the environment greatly. We would stop driving our cars all day to do a million useless things, and instead take a nature hike. If people were happy we would consume less in attempt for temporary happiness, because we would already be happy. It is time to stop focusing so much on the future and live more in the present.

20. I disagree with the concept that transparent trash bags could have a significant effect on society. In my family’s home, trashes are generally kept out of sight, and this is a trend I’ve observed in homes and businesses alike. Aside from our small bathroom trash cans, our garbage cans tend to be hidden. Whether fashioned in pull-out drawers or simply placed under our kitchen sinks, our trash cans typically are unseen. No matter what we are throwing away, our trash will not be pretty. If we had transparent trash bags, wouldn’t we still shut the cupboard door after throwing away our items? Furthermore, because we are always conscious of what we are throwing away, and we see it going into the trash bag, I don’t think transparent bags would cause a remarkable change in human behavior towards trash. The most it might do is remind us to recycle, which is a habit already easily achieved by keeping the garbage can next to the recycling bin.

I empathized with Colin’s feelings about living in the moment. It is sometimes painful to think of how, even at this young age, I am working for something “better” that is far into the future. Colin points out that a lifestyle could be bettered by living each moment, regardless of how exciting it is, as if it is a gift. I believe that if we lived with this mindset, we would choose to savor things more. In turn, we would live more slowly. The reason for a lot of waste in this world is convenience; we are constantly working and give ourselves little time to create or appreciate. If we lived more in the moment, we may allow for sitting down for morning coffee, shopping at farmer’s markets and creating our own meals. This would save waste from coffee cups/to-go containers and cut back on the pollution created by the transportation of non-locally grown foods.

21. If garbage bags were more transparent, I think people would be more aware of what they were throwing away and make a more conscious effort to reduce their garbage amount. Sure, we may throw away large bags of trash but that is all they are: bags. Making the bags transparent means making the bags much more than just that. We would be able to see every plastic bottle we forgot to recycle, every paper towel that killed a tree, and every crumb of food gone to waste. Our crimes against the environment would be out for everyone to see and I believe most people would feel guilty.

By living in the moment, we all would pay more attention to each and every one of our actions. The smallest gesture would be recognized, and although that small gesture may not make a big impact, it can lead to a much bigger change. Environmentally, if everyone constantly paid more attention to what they were doing in the moment, this could lead to improvement over a longer period of time.

22. I was thinking back to when I took out the garbage from my room the other day, and noticed that the dorms, or maybe just my building, gives out transparent garbage bags for the residents’ use. Even before reading the prompt for this week, I remember thinking that it was almost bizarre that I could see my trash when I was taking it out. Not only could I see it, but EVERYONE that I passed on the way to the garbage bins could see the waste I produced in the last few days as well. Maybe in the privacy of my own home I would not care as much. With that being said, I really didn’t care very much when I could see my trash. Maybe that’s because my trash happened to be particularly pretty that day or I am under no illusions about the kind of waste we produce as a species, however, I assume that most people would have a worse reaction than me and therefore trash bags tend to be opaque.

As for living in the moment, it is a very popular concept. Don’t get me wrong, the idea of living life to its fullest is very attractive, but as Americans, maybe even as humans in this time period, we were not raised to live in the moment. We are taught to accept the past and welcome the future; everyday is a new day. And while this may be disguised as living in “the now” sometimes, it really teaches us that we have to make this day count. The plot twist is that “this day” is always in the future. While it is possible to embrace the moment and experience true happiness through the appreciation of the kindness of strangers or a breath of fresh air, unfortunately, the appreciation is short lived. We are so consumed with the superficial distractions of life that make us so busy that we forget about the moment until someone mentions it again as a sort of pick-me-up, philosophical reminder on how to live well. Living in the moment is a great accomplishment. It’s too bad it isn’t a way of life.

23. With all honesty, I don’t think much would change if trash bags were transparent. Even though everyone would be able to see the trash that accumulates day to day I don’t believe it would make anyone more aware of what and how much they are throwing away. If anything, I think that it would cause people to throw away the trash bags itself more frequently due to being grossed out by being able to see all the trash sit there for days. The truth is, there are transparent trash bags (in the dorms!) we are just able to hide the bags with a trashcan.

If everyone lived in the moment the world would be a much more environment friendly place to live. People today are always in a hurry or in a rush which in most cases causes them to take things to go such as food and drinks. If these people were living in the moment and not rushing themselves, they would take the time to use reusable cups for their coffee instead of using a plastic cup that would just go in the trash an hour later. If people took the time they would be able to notice the little things they do that constantly add up to create the big things that effect the world drastically.