New Student Survey – Autumn 2014.

1. Where did you move from to attend the UO? And, briefly describe how you landed on the UO AAD program. Any interesting, funny, anecdotal stories/details are welcome.

I moved down from Portland to (re) attend the UO. I was originally enrolled in the PNCA CT+CR Graduate program for the 2013/2014 school year but was lucky to run into Tina (Rinaldi) during the Arts for America conference in Portland (last Autumn) and felt the AAd program at UO fit my needs and aspirations better! It was total circumstance, and a complete roll of good luck and happenstance as I was only attending the conference as my current boss was on a panel discussion regarding our hotel’s (The Heathman) role in local art’s community and how we  promoted these great programs through our guest room decor and monthly contributions to each entity we supported.

2. Area of concentration in AAD?

Museum Studies and Art & Healthcare

3. Describe your knowledge and use of technology systems. Responses should include the following:

I currently use a Macbook Pro and (far too often) am active on my iPhone 5c. I also have a Nikon Coolpix P310 and am familiar with basic camera and video functions.

4. What software do you commonly use? Briefly describe purpose/application for software on your list.

I most commonly use OS X and the entirety of the Word Office programs.

5. Do you have any graphic design or media production/management experience? Have you taken any graphic design or media production courses?

I have not taken any graphic design or media production courses but have been extremely lucky in my employment history and have had the great opportunity to learn about this vast realm simply by watching and trial and error.

6. Know anything about typography?

Very little, but am extremely interested, particularly in any insight you may have into creating personal fonts!

7. Do you use Web 2.0 apps? Name those that you use or are familiar with.

Hmmm…where to start and when to stop….YouTube, Wikipedia, Craigslist, Tumblr, Yelp, TripAdvisor…

8. Do you use Social Media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Vine, Yelp, etc.)? Name those that you engage in.

I am the Social Media Strategist for the Inn at the 5th downtown and have also managed the Social Media, Online Content and Reputation Management for the Heathman Hotel Portland, The Heathman Restaurant & Bar and the Grove Review Independent Literary Magazine. In those capacities, and in my own use, I’m familiar with:

• Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Pinterest
  • Tumblr
  • LinkedIn
  • Vimeo
  • YouTube
  • WordPress
  • (as well as, sites such as:) Hoot Suite, WooBox, Bitly…
  • I’m also familiar with HTML and have edited websites for content, imagery and SEO

9. Tell me something unique about yourself.

I was originally drawn to the UO, and Eugene, as a student athlete in 2002. I ran track and cross country for the team and am still competitive in half and full marathons.

10. Anything else?

I’m super stoked for this class and can’t wait to get engrained in what all these new media and network outlets have to offer!

ksonniks@uoregon.edu