Preparing for Flooding

In class this week we have been reading the novel “Odds Against Tomorrow” by Nathaniel Rich which has brought to my mind what would happen if different areas were to flood. In the novel a class three hurricane hits New York City, and then the two main characters wonder around the city in a canoe viewing different parts of the city and the devastation that the storm has brought. We see that the subway system is completely submerged, many buildings destroyed, and much of life has been destroyed, including that of people.

I grew up on a small town that was built originally next to a lake, which has been since drained and turned into farm land. Mitchell, the main character in this novel discussed how New York City was built on top of what used to be many water ways, which is what made me think of my home town. Every winter what used to be the lake bottom floods again, and in its way also floods some homes. This happens just about every year, and so the people in the area are prepared for when the rains come, and nature reclaims its land. However cities such as New York City that was also build on water ways does not expect this water to come and devastate all that exists. This brings to mind, how do other areas react to flooding and if they are prepared for the floods or not.

When looking at large storms a real storm that took place that many of us are familiar with is that of Hurricane Katrina. After Hurricane Katrina there was large areas of New Orleans that was flooded, and knowing that this area—being near the Gulf Coast is a possible area for large storms or hurricanes one would thing that they would have a plan against flooding, and after viewing what occurred it is hard to think that there was a plan in place. Experts say though that “The flood protection system in New Orleans was flawed from the start because the model storm it was designed to stop was simplistic, and led to an inadequate network of levees, flood walls, storm gates and pumps”1. Here we see that the city did have a plan in place but that it was flawed. The system if not having been flawed may have helped after the hurricane to decrease the damage done, but this does show that other cities are thinking of what might occur and are preparing for flooding.

Flooding is a topic often brought up when discussing climate change which is why it is important for at least coastal cities to have a plan in place for flooding. Flooding is brought up with climate change because of the discussion of the ice caps melting causing the ocean levels to raise, causing flooding. Although we cannot predict what will cause the next flood in the world, flooding will occur again and again and so cities need to have a plan in place. Do many in the class live in coastal cities and know what their plan is for flooding or if they have a plan?

1. http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/subjects/h/hurricane_katrina/index.html

5 thoughts on “Preparing for Flooding

1. I think that it is cool that you related it to your home experience. I feel that it might give you an idea of how flooding might look in a wider spectrum. I think that New Orleans could have prepared better but there is always going to be a flaw with every plan. I feel that sometimes it takes a natural disaster such as hurricane Katrina to give people the wake call that they need to be more aware and prepared.

2. You make a really good point of flooding happening again and again. I’m from Portland and though I don’t know of a flood plan we have, I know there are more storm drains on the streets than I can even care to count. They are maintained by the city to ensure leaves don’t clog them and cause flooding in the streets. All of the major roads and highways are paved on a curve to allow runoff when it rains. There have been times when the city has gotten flood advisory because the Willamette River is rising. There are definitely preventative measures the City of Portland has taken due to the large amounts of rain the city usually gets, but I’ve never thought to look up a flood plan.

3. I am from San Diego and am unsure if there is a flooding plan currently intact. I know the East coast tends to have more flood plans because they are usually the ones affected by massive storms and hurricanes. Hurricane Katrina was indeed a very devastating time but I think it did scare people in trying to prepare for the worst for flooding but like Alli said there will be a flaw with every plan. The weather is usually unpredictable so it is hard to completely prepare for such large storms.

4. It sounds really interesting that you related back to your life. Flooding is a big problem in many places around the world, so its very relevant today.