Final Project

For my final project I decided to create a video diary written from the perspective of a man living in the year 2115. The video features footage of the Earth’s climate changing, accompanied by a voice over of the diary entry. The man comments on how our current society dealt with climate change, and how our lack of action lead to the restructuring of the entire world’s climate and the displacement of the human race. The format of Diary of an Interesting Year was my inspiration for this project, but I wanted to add a layer of video to create, what I believe, is a more impactful piece of Cli-Fi.

I call my project The World Now. Here’s an excerpt:

If only they could see the world now.

They were wrong. So, so very wrong. But how could they have known. An entire population in denial – comforted by the shared opinions of the masses.

“It’s impossible. It’s a scam. Scientists made it up. This isn’t important. Humans are not to blame. It’s natural. We’ll be fine. “

Some tried to warn them; to change their false perceptions; to believe in the inevitable. But again and again, they were shot down. Called opportunists and fear mongers – even accused of blasphemy. This wasn’t about religion, politics, or economics. This was about survival. About ensuring that the human race was more than just a blink in the lifetime of the cosmos.

That was well over a century ago. A time when greed eclipsed reason; where science seemed synonymous with fiction. Their denial was nothing more than human nature. It brought them comfort; it was always easy to turn a blind eye to the big problems.

However, something changed at the turn of the century. Weather became more unpredictable. Storms began to thrash North America. Floods engulfed Europe; agriculture diminished in Northern Africa. Hundreds of millions were forced to migrate inland due to rising sea levels. Our entire world was changing, and for the first time, the human race was completely powerless.

It’s been almost eighty years since Mother Nature began her purge of the human race from the world. We are no longer Earth’s landlords; we are trespassers. I think about how much different life would be if they would have listened to reason. How much different the world would be if science prevailed over greed.

If only they could see the world now.

The video will be posted by the end of the week.