A Moral Obligation to Act(?)

If someone were to ask me what the Tar Sands were prior to the class readings, I would have told them that I have no idea what they were. Unbeknownst to me, the Canadian Tar Sands are a 54,000 square mile area of what used to be lush Alberta Forrest, but is now the home of some of the dirtiest oil mining operations in the world. These lo mines are largely contributing to greenhouse gas emissions as well as the world’s climate change. Reading the articles and viewing the pictures on the Tar Sands were shocking to say the least. What was more shocking, however, was the fact that I, nor anyone I asked, knew anything about the Tar Sands or even knew what they were. 

Looking through the facts sheet there were a few facts that really stood out to me. One of the most heartbreaking out of them was fact #3, “In April, 2008 a flock of migrating ducks landed on a tar sands toxic lake and died.”. The fact that a flock of ducks simply landed on top of what used to probably be their home and died upon getting sucked into the toxic sludge is totally tragic. I couldn’t help but feel some sort of disappointment towards the people who are responsible for these Tar Sands mining operations, the oil moguls, the Canadian government, and all of the people who have just stood by and watched.

This is a common theme I have noticed with climate change is the issue of who’s not doing enough, and more importantly where the responsibilities for protecting our climate should be distributed and divided. Where is the line drawn? When has someone done “enough” for the climate? And, when does someone need to do more to save our climate? Far too often, people (including myself) do not do as much as they really should to take care of the big globe we all call home. Too often with climate change, the “I’m not going to change my ways because I’m just one person and I won’t make a difference” logic is presented. Or, alternatively, many people present the logic that enough is probably already being done and therefore they don’t need to do anything different or act on an issue themselves because “someone else is probably taking care of it”. Unfortunately, that’s not always true; sometimes the bad guys win. Whether the bad guys are the people in charge of the Tar Sands in Canada who are responsible for mass deforestation, killing countless animals, and largely contributing to global warming, or anyone else who you may see as the “climate change bad guys”. Maybe the bad guys in someone else’s mind are the people responsible for the BP oil spill, or maybe the people lobbying for the KXL Pipeline. Whoever it may be, the point is that we cannot let the “bad guys” win. All people must unite against this common evil, whoever or whatever that evil may be. Although the Tar Sands are not even in our country, I myself still feel some sort of moral obligation to do something, even if that something is just telling other people what the Tar Sands are and what they can do to put a stop to them. I’m all for it because although I do not live in Canada, I live on this planet and when it comes down to it, there are no borders here on this big blue globe, just people living in different places with different beliefs with much more in common than they think.

7 thoughts on “A Moral Obligation to Act(?)

1. I love how you bring up the point of when is it all enough? To me it is mind boggling that people in higher power who can make changes aren’t doing as much as they could to help the global warming issues. Which creates the question of is our selfishness for power and money going to ruin our world or are we going to step in before it is to late?

2. I think this is a really good topic to consider because I have heard people make the claim that one person changing their ways won’t make a difference. I think that is the mentality that people have, which is a big reason as to why they don’t bother contributing to help reduce our carbon footprint and anything else that we can to save our planet. I also really liked how you ended it with talking about how even though we live in the United States, we should still care about the other issues of climate change that are happening all across the world because we all live on the same planet. Many people don’t have that mentality and quite frankly they should because it would make a difference.

3. I came across similar ideas and questions when doing my blog this week as well. Its true this is happening in a different country, yet should we feel morally responsible to do something about it? Is it our problem? Like you mentioned some don’t think one voice can stand up in a crowd and make a difference, but I would think letting someone know about something like the poor little ducks would grab attention. It did with mine!

4. I agree with the fact that we need to introspect among ourselves and understand how even though there are 290 million people in America, we are all guilty of contributing to the rise of green house gases. Even if just do the small things like turning off the lights, minimizing water, and reducing care usage, all the little things will add up. I think that sometimes people feel overwhelmed with what has already been done that they feel like their efforts are useless, but every little bit counts. I know that already, I have become more conscientious of the world around me and my emissions on a day to day basis.

5. I loved the topics you discussed in your post. I also had no prior knowledge regarding the Tar Sands and now that I know what it is, I feel the same way as you do. I can’t believe that people in higher power actually let this happen and are not doing anything to stop this. I also believe that doing little things to conserve energy and the resources we have can make a big difference.

6. I like how you showed a before and after picture of the land, it made a bigger impact before reading. I agree that the duck incident stood out to me also and took it to a whole new level of harm. What is a way that you can bring awareness of the Tar Sands to people?

7. Great post Johnny. I like how you used the picture to illustrate what the tar sands are doing to the environment. We need to bring more awarness to citizens about this issue. The ending of the conclusion was very good.