Meet Chandlor, JSMA’s Intern!

Read about Chandlor’s LEI experience in this blog post.

Name: Chandlor Henderson
Major & Minor: Journalism, African Studies, Computer Information Technology
Internship Position & Site: Museum Education Program Assistant, Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art

Student intern Chandlor Henderson
What was your internship title and organization, and what were your responsibilities?

My internship title was Museum Education Program Assistant at the Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art. My responsibilities varied. In the Winter term I worked with a program called NewArt Northwest Kids. My role was receiving emails from young artists (K – 12) and working to get them displayed in the museum. In the Spring term I worked with World of Work. There I interviewed High School students to get experience in the museum space as interns.

What attracted you to the LEI program?

I was sent the internship opportunity from my boss at the museum, as I was working in a different department in the museum. I was attracted to it because I wanted to gain more experience in the museum, and I saw this as a perfect opportunity.

How did your internship relate to your professional/academic/personal goals and/or values?

This internship in many ways changed my career prospects. Before this internship I didn’t see a way to work in museums, or in the creative space. Now I only see myself working in the creative space, while still using my primary skill, which is writing. I’ve always loved museums, and I’ve always wanted to work in them. I didn’t see myself ever having the possibility, so this internship opened my eyes and heart to a world that I thought was closed to me.

What did you like about working with your supervisor(s) and colleagues?

I really like Sherri Jones. She’s super kind, smart, and caring. Almost like a second mother, or an aunt. I’m very fortunate to have worked with her and made a lifelong friend in the process.

Chandlor Henderson and his internship site supervisor, Sherri Jones
What potential career paths have the internship opened your mind to? Has your internship influenced your future goals/direction and if so, how?

Because of this internship I see museums as being a possibility for me. There is no saying that I will actually get a job at a museum, but I will definitely try.

How did participating in the LEI program impact your experience at UO?

The LEI program helped me find a space I can call my home, in the Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art. I never felt cozy on campus, and now I do. I know my college experience, and as a result my life in general has been changed in a positive way because of this internship.