Survey

1. Where did you move from to attend the UO? And, briefly describe how you landed on the UO AAD program. Any interesting, funny, anecdotal stories/details are welcome.

I moved from Covington, Louisiana where I was working as a music educator after graduating from Southeastern Louisiana University. When I began looking at masters programs, I researched universities that had a Museum Studies concentration because I was interested in Education Coordination. Most programs seemed to have coursework focused on History and Anthropology, which made me feel completely unqualified. I finally stumbled upon UO’s Arts Administration program and felt arts management would be the most relevant path to a museum education career. I arrived in Eugene in August after hearing the song “Do You Know the Way to San Jose” at least twenty times on our five-day road trip due to a faulty (prehistoric) iPod. I have enjoyed taking in the beautiful scenery and unique lifestyle of the town while avoiding all Dionne Warwick top 100 tunes.

2. Area of concentration in AAD?

My concentration is Museum Studies.

3. Describe your knowledge and use of technology systems.

I am most acquainted with the Mac OSX systems, but have also worked on Windows 2000, XP, and 10 operating systems. I actively use Apple products—iPhone, iPad, iPod. I use HP scanners, printers, and copiers.

4. What software do you commonly use? Briefly describe purpose/application for software on your list.

I consistently use Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel). I use Word for any and all document creating; I used PowerPoint in the past to create learning tools and lesson presentations; and I use Excel to create organized spreadsheets. I also used Finale to transpose, arrange, or compose music excerpts and pieces for choir and general music classes.

5. Do you have any graphic design or media production/management experience? Have you taken any graphic design or media production courses?

I have zero experience in graphic design or media productions.

6. Know anything about typography?

I just Googled it—I don’t know a thing about typography.

7. Do you use Web (2.0) apps? Name those that you use or are familiar with.

I was unaware of what Web 2.0 apps were until I Googled it (yes, again), but realize I use them frequently! I use social media sites like Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest. I also use Google (Gmail, Maps), Pandora, Spotify, iTunes, Amazon, Etsy, and Blogger (occasionally…mostly when it was Blogspot).

8. Do you use Social Media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Vine, Yelp, etc.)? Name those that you engage in.

I use Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Yelp, LinkedIn, and Pinterest.

9. Tell us something unique about yourself.

My high school mascot was a Skipper—one of very few in the nation, apparently.

10. Anything else?

I am really looking forward to this class, mostly because I am so uneducated in the realm of technology and visual art. I feel like I am missing some necessary skills to be successful in this technology-driven world. I am grateful I get to be in such a positive environment to learn and succeed!