MIDTERM REFLECTION

MIDTERM REFLECTION

The form of my building(s) has changed significantly since the winter term, but the general “zoning” of the program functions–green chemistry labs, offices, library, production space–has not.  On the south side of the site, the production space still acts as a buffer between the busy (and not so attractive) Powell St thoroughfare; the labs and offices remain on the north side of the site–where pedestrians, bikers and mass-transit-goers will outnumber cars.  I made a significant “zoning” change with the gallery space by placing it between the north and south buildings (rather than at the bottom of the library area), creating a connective spatial joint.

The form of the north building has changed with the addition of an atrium between the laboratories and offices.  This puts the primary circulation paths (both horizontal and vertical) front and center; its wide walkways and zig-zagging stairs encourage and accommodate casual interaction.  The skylights above also provide significant daylight to this active area.  The building was also extended to push the library closer to the eastern edge of the site, giving it a bolder presence as a boundary/ gateway marker for those approaching by bike or train.

I also developed the structural systems of the buildings to emphasize the way I envisioned them conceptually.  The labs are heavy, modular units that march down the site, breaking open in the library space–they are self-contained structurally and in terms of their MEP systems, but not visually (ie, one can still see into them when walking through the atrium.  The offices are folded at an angle into the building’s southern wall, maximizing their view of the yard as well as their southern exposure, which I plan to take advantage of for a passive thermal system.

The south (production) building is now much more defined; its structure divides it into regular bays and minimizes the number of interstitial columns.  The sawtooth roof brings northern light into the space (and, obviously, provides an ideal surface for PV panels).
Before the last review, I had some basic notions about how my building systems would work.  Now I am diving more deeply into the design of suitable and efficient ventilation, heating/cooling, lighting, and water strategies–especially for the laboratories.  I got some good pointers during the review about general directions to pursue, but there is a lot (…more than a lot) to be done.  I would also like to keep the designs of the north and south buildings relatively clean, subdued, and simple, so that the gallery space can really stand out and draw visitors in.

maclean_1

maclean_2

maclean_3

maclean_4

maclean_5

maclean_6