Eating Well on a Grad School Stipend

Cook at home, buy in bulkThere is more to grad school cuisine than ramen! (Though the Oriental flavor is particularly tasty)!  Eating Well on a Grad School Stipend offers practical alternatives to over-processed, high-starch and high pricetag foods.  The post is written by a micro-biology student for the blog Gradhacker, part of insidehighered.com.

The tips are focused under two categories:  Buy Smarter and Cook at Home.  One of the tips, invariably, is “buy in bulk.”  That’s very good advice, but it’s not always possible.  First of all, while buying in bulk is usually cheaper in the long run, there is that initial cash outlay.  Secondly, buying in bulk requires storage and/or freezer space.  Not something all grad school students have a great deal of.  Just sayin’

2 thoughts on “Eating Well on a Grad School Stipend”

1. when I was in grad school, I would devote about 3 hours on most Saturday afternoons–or roughly the length of a Met opera broadcast–to cooking up things that I could eat on for the rest of the week, like casseroles or big batches of pasta sauce, or, if I was flush, a chicken. (If Wagner was on, I did my cooking on Sunday.) That way I accomplished 2 things at once–a mental vacation from reading and guaranteeing minimal prep time for the rest of the week.