Surviving grad school as an international student

Here is what our friend and fellow classmate Omar Aldakheel has to say about surviving graduate school as an international student:

Surviving grad school is tough, and surviving grad school as a foreigner is even tougher.  I am a 24-year-old multi-media journalism student at the University of Oregon Graduate School. I faced many difficulties during my undergrad and now in grad school, including feeling home sick or struggling with a second language.

One thing I realized is just to stay positive and confident, and that’s what is getting me through. Also, I use my background and experience in my projects to kind of turn my weaknesses to strength. I love the proverb that’s says: “When life gives you lemons, make lemonade” and that’s what I try to do. I’m Middle Eastern and I use my Arab origin to showcase a lot of stuff.

For example, during my first term in grad school I was assigned to talk about the impact of new media, so I talked about the Arab spring and how social media was used to make revolutions in my part of the world. In another project, I made a travel site for people who are travelers like me, and shared my thoughts and recommendations.

I feel that no matter where you come from, all humans somehow connect. When you are not a native, you can talk about your place of origin and draw examples, and people will identify with the human elements. The point being, we all face difficulties, but it’s the mentality and attitude that changes everything. That’s what I always advise international students to do: Be positive, be proud and be productive.  That will hopefully get you through grad school.

One thought on “Surviving grad school as an international student”

1. One thing is for sure when getting an education you are in a different survival scenario and being a home-schooled student, I should know. I grew up on a homestead and was homeschooled my entire life and then went to college to take business and software engineering.

Surviving these days was very tough but doing work on the homestead required a lot more work and dedication, it was until my early twenties I started to really focus on my education, and surviving through school was a big challenge for me.

Read more about this homeschool homesteading story at https://vitalitygear.com