Q&A: Katelyn Loper; Student Athlete

What school were you at previously?

I previously went to school at Hofstra University in Long Island, New York

Why did you decide to transfer?

I think the main reason I looked to transfer was because I’m more accustomed to a male head coach rather than a female. So, that was the main reason why I left.

What was the hardest thing, for you personally, during the transfer process?

I think the hardest thing about transferring is just being in a new environment and not knowing anyone when you are accustomed to a group of girls and coaching staffs. So I think that overall transition has to be the hardest.

What was it like academically as a transfer student? Did you have to change your major?

I was a Journalism major at Hofstra. When I came to the University of Oregon, I had to change my major because I didn’t want to be a year behind. So I changed it to Social Sciences and Crime, Law and Society and it was unfortunate because a lot of my credits didn’t transfer over. So I did end up starting a little bit behind as far as getting my General Eds here.

What was it like for you, athletically, as a transfer student?

It was a little it difficult my transfer year, I obviously had to sit out a year and it was obviously difficult. We went 4-27, which was rough to watch and not being able to help.

Being a transfer student into a new program, do you feel like you had to do extra to prove yourself?

I feel like it was harder because I couldn’t play. So, I had to be there for my team even though I couldn’t do anything for them except vocally. But, as far as proving yourself, I think you always have to do that as an athlete. As far as a transfer, I guess the spotlight is a little more on you because your teammates and coaches don’t know you too well.

What is the most rewarding thing about transferring?

I remember going through this process and they say the grass isn’t always greener on the other side. But, when I’m all said and done here to look back and have been ale to play at an elite college and get to be around elite players all the time and hopefully prep me for playing after college is done.