Q&A: Eric Dungy; Student Athlete

What’s your name?

My name is Eric Dungy

Can you talk about your decision to come to the University of Oregon and play football for this program?

Four years ago I was just coming out of high school. I was in the movie theatre and I got a phone call from Chip Kelly and told me to come up and visit the university. I went up and visited and had a great time. I really enjoyed meeting all the coaches and meeting everybody up here. I really liked the facilities, the locker rooms, and the Jayqua Center. And after that visit, I knew this is where I wanted to play.

What did they [the coaches] expect from you when you first started at Oregon?

When I first got here, the coaches were teaching us how the system works up here and what we needed to do to keep playing. We trained strength and conditioning, and they made sure we had a head start academically. They were on us pretty hard about grades and academics. It also felt weird living with someone else, I have never lived in the same room with anyone else my whole life.

What was your first fall term in Eugene like?

It was pretty fun. That was the most successful season that we have ever had. That was the year that we went to the Rose Bowl. I was a red shirt, so I was not playing. But I felt like I was contributing just because I was there all the way, helping support. I did play with them in practice. I would help them improve. I definitely made the right decision because we won the national championship my freshmen year and it was just a great season overall.

What was behind your decision to transfer to another program?

I’ve been out here for four years and I feel like I’ve done most of what I could do up here, so a new start would be better. Like a new season and see some new things would be better. It’s like opening up a new chapter in life.

Can you talk about the program you’ll be transferring to?

I’m transferring to the University of South Florida. It’s located pretty closely to my home in Tampa, Florida. They had initially recruited me right out of high school and it’s right by my home town so I know a lot of the guys on the team already. I’m looking forward to it. It will be a good change.