Q&A: Max Taw; Student Athlete

What’s your name? Tell me about yourself.

My name is Max Taw. I am from San Marino, California.

Why did you come to the University of Oregon?

I came to U of O because I have always loved the ducks. I thought I was able to play basketball here, but I was wrong.

Have you tried walking on to the basketball team here? What have you been doing to prepare yourself to get on to the team?

I tried walking on to the basketball team my freshmen year but didn’t make it. I was not fast enough, too short, and couldn’t jump high enough. I’ve been working out daily to help get up my jumping vertical, my sprinting speed, and my overall strength. I have been playing basketball with the actual basketball team at the recreation center to help learn what I need to improve on as a player.

How long have you been playing basketball?

I started playing basketball when I was 4 years old. I always watched the NBA on television so my father decided to sign me up for the local little basketball league.

What workouts are you doing to become a better basketball player?

I have been a lot of explosive workouts. I have been doing a lot of box jumps, jump squats, weighted squats, explosive calf raises, and explosive dead lifts. I’ve been doing a lot of legwork to help raise my vertical and strengthen my speed.

What does your typical day look like?

I usually wake up around 10 and go to class. After class I go directly to the gym. After the gym I usually make a large healthy meal. After that I just finish up homework and go to bed.

Where are you transferring?

I am transferring to Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles, California. I had the option of going either to LMU or Chapman University as a transfer. I decided to pick LMU because it’s a better school, division one, and closer to my family.

What have you been eating to stay in shape?

I usually eat pasta or some sort of carbohydrates. I usually eat chicken and other lean proteins. My mom always told me that a healthy diet would always beat working out.

What position do you play? When you transfer, will you have to switch positions?

I have been playing guard for the last 10 years, and when I transfer I’ll get to play as a guard.