Project 1: Light and Shadow

I wanted to investigate light and shadow in relation to translucent and transparent materials. The  first investigation was of vellum with slits cut into it to allow light through.  My hope was that the vellum would allow a little bit of light through and the slits would allow a lot of light through the screen.  It turned out to be more contrast between the slits and the solid screen than I anticipated.

The second experiment was more successful towards what I was interested in investigating.  I wove strips of clear acetate together and painted some of the intersections.  this created an interesting shadow on the wall where there was maximum light being let through the voids and where there was a slight filter where strips of acetate overlapped.  What I found most interesting about this was how 3 dimensional the image on the wall appears to be.

About Nancy Cheng

Univ. of Oregon Architecture Department head Nancy Yen-wen Cheng, RA, LEED AP researches how design tools and approaches shape outcomes, with a specialization in how craft and computation can stimulate the creative process. She has developed expertise in manipulating sheet materials to create light-modulating structures and has researched how surface relief patterns can increase convective cooling. She has developed fold and slot joints that give structural rigidity to foldable sheet structures and is eager to apply them to rapidly deployable refugee shelters.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.