Light and Shadow

From these three shadow samples, I have discovered a lot about the behavior of light.  The first sample was created during class using a variety of lights coming from multiple directions; all being filtered through a wire mesh material.  The second image is the shadow of a tree on a sidewalk.  I found it interesting how the density of leaves influenced the intensity of the shadow.  This created a very three dimensional image on the flat surface.  The third sample is of a shadow on a set of stairs.  The flat shadow became very dynamic on the multi-layered surface.

I found the second sample most interesting, and would like to investigate levels of translucency.  I think layering has a lot of potential in creating different types of shadows, which is where I will further develop my investigations.

About Nancy Cheng

Univ. of Oregon Architecture Department head Nancy Yen-wen Cheng, RA, LEED AP researches how design tools and approaches shape outcomes, with a specialization in how craft and computation can stimulate the creative process. She has developed expertise in manipulating sheet materials to create light-modulating structures and has researched how surface relief patterns can increase convective cooling. She has developed fold and slot joints that give structural rigidity to foldable sheet structures and is eager to apply them to rapidly deployable refugee shelters.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.