New Student Survey

1. Where did you move from to attend the UO? And, briefly describe how you landed on the UO AAD program. Any interesting, funny, anecdotal stories/details are welcome.  I moved from Minneapolis to Oregon two years to seek new adventures and inspiration, and I currently live in Corvallis. My background is in studio art and I have always been fascinated by museums, so I started volunteering at the Arts Center in Corvallis to connect with other artists. This is where I became interested in arts administration. I found out about the AAD program at UO through my own research and talked to an alum of the program. It seemed like a good fit for me so I decided to apply.

2. Area of concentration in AAD? My concentration in the AAD program is Museum Studies, although I am also interested in Community Arts.

3. Describe your knowledge and use of technology systems. I am more familiar with Apple than PC. I use an iphone and macbook pro as my personal devices. I have limited experience using Adobe Creative Suite (CS6), and I have used imovie to make simple videos. I mostly use my computer for the internet, word processing and basic photo editing. I use my phone for navigation, checking email and social media. I use an Epson scanner to scan artwork and documents.

4. What software do you commonly use? Briefly describe purpose/application for software on your list.  Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator and Bridge for editing photos, creating new images and page layout), Microsoft Office (documents and presentations).

5. Do you have any graphic design or media production/management experience? Have you taken any graphic design or media production courses?  I have some experience doing illustrations (I prefer drawing by hand and then scanning/editing), and I have taken graphic design and web design courses at a community college. I have done some basic logo design and created wireframes using Axure.

6. Know anything about typography? I know a little bit about typography but I feel I have a lot to learn and I’m looking forward to expanding my knowledge.

7. Do you use Web (2.0) apps? Name those that you use or are familiar with. Yes, I use social media apps, Gmail, YouTube, Etsy and various smartphone apps.

8. Do you use Social Media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Vine, Yelp, etc.)? Name those that you engage in.  I use Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, LinkedIn.

9. Tell me something unique about yourself.  I like dancing to techno music. I also have two cats named Pancake and Waffles.

10. Anything else?  I am a visual artist who enjoys working in traditional mediums such as oil paint, pen and ink, graphite and watercolor. I struggle a little with technology, but I am looking forward building my graphic design skills and applying them to the field of arts administration.

margotd