Creative Spirituality Discussion

In Grey’s book, Art as Spiritual Practice, Grey examined the spirituality of art on an incredibly deep and sensual level.  I could tell from the first couple pages that he is an exceedingly spiritual individual, who is closely in tune with his personal emotions and feelings towards the art of seeing.  If anything, I found that I had a difficult time connecting with Grey’s perspectives on ‘deeply seeing art’ because art isn’t the soul purpose of my existence.  With that being said, he did make me think of art in a different way, and I was able to connect the most with the end of the chapter when he examined the context and meaning of art. For instance, “viewers interpret a work of art through the filter of their worldview, the knowledge and experience conditioning their mind.” (Grey, pg 102) I completely agree with this statement. When I first examine a work of art I appreciate it for it’s obvious characteristics; color, shape, texture, etc.  As I learn who produced the work, what it’s titled, and the history or inspiration of the work, I often become more intrigued and connected to it’s beauty. Additionally, he talks about how “the viewers’ life experiences will load their eyes and color their interpretation of the painting.” (Greay, pg 102) Similarly, I agree that the difference life experiences and perspectives people have collected will help shape their spirituality and connection with pieces of artwork.

References:

Grey, A. (2001). Art as Spiritual Practice. The Mission of Art (1st ed., pp. 205-233). Boston & London: Shambhala.

3 thoughts on “Creative Spirituality Discussion”

1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. You mention something in the article: “viewers interpret a work of art through the filter of their worldview, the knowledge and experience conditioning their mind” (Grey, pg 102). According to your experience, you say you will be more connected and intrigued along with more understanding of authors’ or creators’ background, history, or any other knowledge relevant to the art piece you are appreciating. With that being said, do you mean you read a book or appreciate a art work by forming the similar mindset of the author? In the reading, Grey wrote, “In order to experience art fully viewers must go through a mini ego death by placing themselves in the inspired mind of the artists…” (pg.74). Do you agree with this? As far as I concerned, sometimes people would be influenced and their mind will be distorted if they follow the subjective emotion in the art work, because people will not effectively gain an understanding incorporated their own true life thoughts.

2. Good response. Yes, I do believe I develop a greater appreciation for certain pieces of artwork after gathering information about the artist, and his or her inspirations for the piece. Supplemental information about the creation process allows me to analyze the work from a new perspective, but this does not mean I adopt the mindset of the creator. In my eyes, it is important to “go through a mini ego death by placing myself in the inspired mind of the artist..” but only to better understand the creation process. After I understand the perspective of the artist, I choose to take a step back and reinterpret my new emotions and feelings towards the work. For instance, if I look at a painting that radiates sadness, I am curious what precipitated the painter’s choice of expression. After discovering the inspiration of the piece, I feel more connected to the work, but I don’t feel the same sadness that inspired the artist. Instead, my emotional response stems from other past experiences I’ve encountered in my life, allowing me to have a unique and individual experience of my own. Wow, I did not mean to go that in depth. How do you think fully understanding the artist’s intent affects your experience with the artwork?

3. Hey, Joyanna,
    Good job for your post. During my experience of reading this article, I also have a difficult time in connecting with with Grey’s perspectives on deeply seeing of art. I personally think it is very abstract to understand and confuse me for a while. Because I don’t know too much or think too much of art, I usually examine a work of art, I just appreciate it from its appearance, shape, color. Etc. like you do, I never try to go deeper to think about what is this work for, what is the purpose that the artist want to express. One thing you mentioned in your response“viewers interpret a work of art through the filter of their worldview, the knowledge and experience conditioning their mind.” (Grey, pg 102) I totally agree with you, because in my opinion, no matter the artists themselves or audiences, when they create an artistic work or people enjoying an artistic work, most people have their own thought of it and would make connections to their own life experience, thus, they have their own judge and taste in very different ways.