Unit 04

I believe that food is a form of art. There have been many dishes that I have ordered that are absolutely beautiful. Chefs have the opportunity to be very creative with food by cutting it into different shapes, adding color, and making a design. I think that chefs absolutely create art with their food because all the different designs and creations they make. “It is obvious that foodstuffs can be made into visual objects which are works of art.” (p. 13) Reading this article it really surprised me with the different reasons to why food is not viewed as art. I was very surprised to read that people refuse to count food as a work of art in evaluative sense relates to the physicality of the way we appreciate food. I am not sure why this even matters? I don’t see this being a strong enough point to argue to why food is not art. I could agree with the reading that works of art in food cannot gain the same stature as those of greater permanence. That is one important reason why food must remain a relatively minor art. I agree with the reading that fireworks, flowers and flower arranging would be considered minor art.  I feel that we should label food art to be minor art than no art. It is still creative and has a visual appeal just as much as a statue or painting would. Dissanayake said in her reading, “To think of art as a behavior of making special is truly a change of paradigm. Usually art refers to objects- paintings, pictures, dances, musical compositions works of art that are the results of artistic behavior. (p. 25) This connects to art because food designs have results of artistic behavior. Food has the ability to bring light or joy to someone’s day because of the creative and beauty that is behind it.

One thought on “Unit 04”

1. Hi Janie,
    I appreciate how you added that chefs are able to make and create art in several different ways because of the unique designs and creations that they can get imaginative with. I agree with how you argued that you didn’t understand why people refuse to count food as a work of art “in evaluative sense relating to the physicality of the way we appreciate food.” This argument is completely valid because I believe from my own experiences that food can absolutely be art because an individual created it with the intention of making it aesthetically appealing. One thing I think you could have added to further your argument would be to vividly describe a time that you saw a specific type or plate of food and knew that that was definitely art. I think that a personal experience would help back up your argument even more. Altogether, I think that you took the reading for this week and completely broke it down to help provide not just yourself, but others with a deeper understanding of why food can truly be art.