Unit 09

In the presentation, “Laws That Choke Creativity,” Larry brings up three different stories that I found to be very interesting. It was interesting to listen to his outlook on the balance between two factions. He expresses that the laws we have about copyright need to be changed in terms of remix to encourage creativity. With all the advances of digital technology, the media creation has been democratized, and now the tools of creation are accessible to anyone who has access to a computer.  I question what we can do to adjust the system to that people’s work aren’t getting taken away but also other people’s remixes are getting credit for their creativity.  With our tech savvy generations what way can we find a happen medium with this new remix culture but supporting the original?

2 thoughts on “Unit 09”

1. Hi Janie,
    I enjoyed reading your question asking how society could possibly adjust the system so that people receive the credit they deserve while other’s work isn’t getting taken away. I think that there is definitely a happy medium that could be found that would influence the power of both the original work and the remix as well.

2. Your question is quite similar to mine, actually! This is quite the dilemma that kept popping up in this unit, and it didn’t really seem as if it had been addressed. I think it’s a huge issue but a good place to start is to make sure everyone has to deal with the situation with fairness. From what we heard from Nate Harrison’s talk, corporate use of content seems to be less regulated – it dances around the laws of copyright in ways the artist cannot. I think equalizing these laws should be our first priority. How to do that – that’s the next question!