Unit 03

This piece by Ellen Dissanayake brings out many different ideas and concepts that represent what is viewed as “art.” Dissanayake explains in the reading “to think of art as a behavior of making special is truly a change of paradigm, or that art is given to objects that possess some quality of beauty, harmony, excellence and denied to those that do not.” (p. 26) The reading expressed how art is a normal and necessarily behavior of human beings that illustrate love, learning, working, playing etc that should be developed in everyone. “Looking at all humans as members of one species and then thinking of art as a kind of behavior that developed as they evolved to help them survive.” (p. 16) I thought this was interesting because living in another culture in makes you realize the differences in each other’s beliefs and how we still all connect together through the creation of art.  I have never looked at art in a way that Dissanayake describes in her reading. I used to think that I wasn’t involved with art because I couldn’t draw, sing, paint or be creative, but Ellen has given me a wide range of what art actually represents. What really stood out to me in the reading was how it mentions the verities of human conditions such as love, death, suffering, loss and reprieve to be see as art. The reading explained how they have been the subject matter of and occasion for the arts throughout human history. It was already difficult for me to see what some of the ideas and topics Ellen considered to be “art” and then throw in death, suffering and loss as a topic of “art” was mind twisting. I question what about those topics represent art? Is it the different meanings that, expressions or revelations that cause human concern? I am interested in finding out if others see something as sad or depressing as a form of art and what examples they could provide to give me more insight.

2 thoughts on “Unit 03”

1. I thought you were very insightful on how living in another culture makes you realize the differences in each other’s beliefs and how we still all connect together through the creation of art. However, have you considered that possibly people could be disconnected because of art? So many individuals are so passionate about what they believe art is and what they believe art is not, and so there is a possibility that others may not be able to appreciate another culture or society because of what they create and view as art. I definitely think that there are two sides to it but you made a great point when you included how you were interested in finding out if others see something as sad or depressing as a form or art. I have definitely viewed sad photographs or tragedy-based paintings that have been completely wrapped around the theme of fear and sadness, but that I have considered to be a beautiful piece of art.

2. Thank you so much Rachel for your response! I never thought about how people could be a disconnect through art. That is a very interesting point to think about because everyone has their own views and idea of what art is. You quoted, “there is a possibility that others may not be able to appreciate another culture or society because of what they create and view as art.” I think this is very valued and challenged my idea of what I thought about art before. This shows me how different people are and their cultures. You also brought up a great point about the pictures that are wrapped around a theme of fear and sadness, but does represent beauty. In my history class we looked at pictures from the Vietnam War and they were very depressing. The class looked at pictures of people dying but then it was art because it represented what our country stood for and others found beauty in that. The reading and your response really demonstrate a wide definition to what beauty and art is and how people interrupt it.