Political Power

We talk a lot in class about how global warming and climate change can affect our resources, our living styles, and the future of our planet. We lack in the area of what political actions are being taken towards this issue. What I mean by that is how our republicans react to global warming, along with democrats, and so on. Or if they are even reacting. Our nation relies on our people for decision making mostly, but at the end of the day our government are the ones who we need to put plans into action. We rely on them for change because of the power they have. In retrospect this can be seen as a negative and a positive aspect in our countries government. It brings the question to mind of how do we know we are in good hands and can trust they are putting our nations best interest at the top of the priority list. For example, we discussed the Keystone Pipeline that our government has had a lot of controversy over, when in my opinion, I feel like it is obvious we should not follow through with that plan. Why would we risk the chance of ruining water sources for states along with their untouched land? While also, adding more fossil fuels in our atmosphere. The main purpose to this pipeline is to transfer 830,000 barrels of oil a day from Alberta to refineries along the U.S. Gulf Coast. When is enough, enough? I see this plan as almost selfish in the way that money is involved along with more damage to our land. That is one perspective to this plan, which protesters throughout our nation are trying to make clear to our government officials. The reason why I believe that this example strongly shows how our government has the power to make or break our nation is because the fact that there were mixed votes on the Keystone Pipeline from our government officials, makes me think we might not be in good hands. “Local activists who oppose pipeline projects want to keep them out of environmentally sensitive areas. National groups are fighting pipelines as part of a broader effort to reduce the use of fossil fuels,” The Wall Street Journal expresses. It makes me wonder if we could as a nation make more people aware of what harm can be done to our planet that could potentially help have more influence with government decisions. Luckily, Obama vetoed the Keystone pipeline, but it is the fact that it had to be debated over that is scary. All of this makes me picture the scenes in the graphic novel IDP:2043, where the government officials, when the world is crashing down, has the power to decide who survives, and lives the glamorous life. It is a scary thought to think about how a fiction story full of fear, corruption within the government, and inhuman actions could become a reality for us. This leaves me with the final question of, are we able to trust our political power in the aspects of global warming, and keeping us safe?

5 thoughts on “Political Power

1. I agree that climate change needs to become more of a political issue. This will help to raise awareness and will help people to actually take action. If people see what is being done and the effects it could have, they will be more likely to help.

2. I like how you mentioned about how it seems as though money is corrupting what’s actually right for the environment especially since it even has the chance to harm the people of the areas the pipe will run through. I think that the only way that climate change will be a political issue is during our middle aged years when people who are around our age are running for government office since we have to care more.

3. I definitely agree with this. I don’t like that fact that people were considering putting a massive pipeline through an entire country in order to more efficiently export fossil fuels. Not only would it have emitted a lot of fossil fuels simply building the pipeline, but it would have helped the efficiency in getting fossil fuels all over the world. Another thing about this pipeline which scares me is that it also has the potential of being a target for terrorist attacks. This pipeline which runs across the United States cannot be guarded on every single mile. Therefore, if this pipeline gets hacked, millions of gallons of crude oil would spill all over the ground.

4. It is interesting to see how money has the true power. When it comes to the pipeline or those who live in the tower in IDP:2043, money has the largest role. If people were not selfish and greedy it would be amazing to think if the utopian society we would live in.

5. “When is enough, enough?” — what a powerful question. Thank you for including it in your post. I think it speaks not only to the greed of particular companies, corporations, or individuals, but also to the fact that humans as a species keep extracting more and more and more from the Earth. Sometimes I wonder, when will it be enough?

I think it’s important to distinguish that the “bad guys” in IDP: 2043, are not government officials, but rather a corporate board. Although there is a great deal of corporate influence in our government today, I think it’s crucial not to use that as a reason to become less involved in government or think that government can’t help. Quite the opposite, I think we have to become more involved in the government, and take some of that power back into our own hands. As Dyuce suggests in his reply, things might change when young people start running for office! I totally agree, though I don’t think we need to wait until our middle age to do that.