An Emotional Impact

I think one of the main issues with climate change is that people do not acknowledge it or recognize it as a problem. I think this could be a result of the way people are informed about global warming. As I was able to see, a lot of the information that is presented about climate change is fact and is presented as fact. Our climate change introduction book and the global weirding website are an example of this. While these were both very helpful in finding out information and learning more about the effects of global warming, if I was not taking a class about climate change or if I did not have interest in the topic, I probably would not have been very interested in the factual evidence that both of these sources present. I think this is a problem that a lot of people have when they are told about global warming, they do not connect with the information.

On the other hand, the stories not only tell of what could happen but they introduce a whole new way to learn about climate change, through emotion. As I read the stories from I’m With the Bears, I could not help but begin to be more concerned about the issue of climate change. While the facts have always worried me just like they do most people, I was able to see the problem in a completely new light. Although these stories are just scenarios that could happen, they showed the effects that climate change could have on people and that was what made me truly worry. Reading the Diary of an Interesting Year took the issue to a whole new level. This woman seemed to have lost all hope. She just accepted every bad thing that happened to her without question or emotion. The fact that climate change could bring people to that point is a thought that had never crossed my mind before. This story not only showed what could happen but also allowed the reader to connect emotionally which is something that is hard to do with this topic in some cases. Most people realize the effects that climate change will have on the environment but do not necessarily recognize how much it will affect them on every level. This story was able to get both points across.

Overall, while I believe that facts and evidence are important to inform people about climate change issues, I think that in some cases the fictional “cli-fi” books could be of use too. They could help get the point across in a different way. Many people do not have concern for issues unless they feel they will actually affect them and these fictional stories of what could happen to people could definitely help people to realize how real the problem is and that it could in fact change the way they live. I think the combination of these two types of sources could get the point across better and help people to realize that this is a global issues that can have a personal impact on each person.

8 thoughts on “An Emotional Impact

1. I can relate, because I, too, was not educated on all the effects of Global Warming. You said, “Most people realize the effects that climate change will have on the environment but do not necessarily recognize how much it will affect them on every level,” and that Cli-fi books can educate people on Global Warming in a more personal way, rather than facts. I 100% agree with both statements. I think most people aren’t informed about Global Warming, because they don’t want to hear a bunch of facts that don’t relate to them, and they can’t see how it has already affected our communities. We should use Cli-fi books as an educating tool, because they not only engage their audience in a personal way, but also reveal the consequences of our current actions. I believe that if people “see” what can/will happen if we don’t stop Global Warming, then we will be able to address this growing problem quicker and more effectively.

2. You nail the climate change issue on the head when you state, “I think one of the main issues with climate change is that people do not acknowledge it or recognize it as a problem.” The reason why we continue to destroy our planet is because people do not explicitly recognize the negative effects they are causing. That being said, I think it’s important for scientists and politicians to give citizens practical steps to help reduce their carbon footprints, rather than expecting them to figure that out on their own. I think that would help immensely with garnering attention to the climate change problem.

3. I agree with what you are saying because I feel the same way about climate change. You said, “if I was not taking a class about climate change or if I did not have interest in the topic”. This class has already taught me so much about climate change that I had no idea about. It really opens your eyes about what is happening on our planet today. Also, the stories we read in class make you think about the future and how it will affect us.

4. I have to agree with you that the stories scared me as well. I do think that they were an over-dramatization of what could happen, but it is important to realize that they could be an important foreshadowing to what the future might hold. If that future is what is in store for us, there will be many people who will not be prepare because of the denial that you stated about global warming.

5. I completely agree with what you are saying because I feel the same way. I think that many people understand that climate change is an issue, but they don’t think it is as big of an issue yet since they don’t see how it is affecting them in their daily lives. Many people that I have talked to have said that climate change isn’t real because they don’t see the effects from it personally. I definitely think that fiction books on climate change are a good way to get people’s attention on the topic because spitting out a bunch of random facts about climate change to people isn’t going to get them interested in the topic. They have to see how it can affect them personally to show them how serious of an issue climate change is and how it is going to affect everyone in the long run in a negative way.

6. As was said before, I think you’re spot on with what you’re saying. People tend to ignore or disregard things that they cannot feel or are directly affected by. I think the reason certain people are still skeptical about climate change is that they aren’t directly observing or feeling it’s affects, so they feel it must not be happening or must not be serious enough to warrant a significant response against.. If things continue along the current trend with climate change, I fear it may be too late to take the actions necessary to alter the planet from it’s current course.

7. I have to agree with you on how cli-fi could be used to better help the point of preventing Global Warming. Especially since there is so much partisan debate regarding the issue (also agreeing with you), it’s most likely because people are not as connected to the issue. The revelation happened for me when seeing how areas around my home would be affected (even though I still thought Global Warming is a serious issue that needs to be addressed) truly sheds a light on how we need to change our ways ASAP especially because there is no turning back.

• Interesting post and discussion! How do you think literary fiction (and stories in general) might help cut through the partisan gridlock of the “climate change debate”? Or in other words, what is it about literary fiction that can help people bypass all that partisan debate? Is it the emotion? The characters? The speculative aspect (how these stories are set in the future)? Does it make a difference depending on how didactic the particular story is (that is, how preachy it seems)? I’d be interested to hear what you all think.