Seberiana’s Artistic Adventure: Bringing Education to Life at the Schnitzer Museum

Read about Seberiana’s LEI experience in this blog post.

Name: Seberiana Lopez (she/her)
Major: Art and Technology
Minor: Art History and Entrepreneurship
Year: Senior
Internship: Museum Education Program Assistant, Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art

What was your internship title and organization, and what were your responsibilities?

I am a Museum Education Program Assistant for the Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art. Some of the responsibilities of this internship position included working with K-12 individuals to review their work to be presented in the museum’s annual exhibition of children’s artwork. A main project I have worked on throughout this internship experience has been developing the World of Works internship program for high school students. In this program, I helped connect with schools and local artists to bring them to the program. Students who participate in this internship experience build the skills to communicate identity expression and learn the skills of working in a museum.  

What attracted you to the LEI program?

A reason I wanted to be part of the LEI program was to be able to better develop my professional skills as an underrepresented student. I was inspired by the program’s motivation to grant internship opportunities to students who have experienced inaccessibility otherwise. As a Mexican American, Chicana, I felt empowered by the program’s eagerness to bridge the gap of opportunities and make seeing yourself in a professional setting possible.  

Seberiana and the high school students involved in the JSMA World of Works Internship program.
What was the project/campaign you led or contributed to that you are most proud of? 
How did your internship relate to your professional/academic/personal goals and/or values?

The opportunity I had with my internship to structure a program design for underrepresented high schools has been one of my greatest accomplishments. As someone who is passionate about creating opportunities for those who face challenges due to their identity, I was glad I had the opportunity to experience what building out a program looks like. This has further inspired my aspiration as an artist who wants to build opportunities for other underrepresented identities. It has shown me the possibilities there are and how important it is to continuously build opportunities like this for the youth.  

What were the cohort meetings and workshops like? What did you enjoy/dislike? 

With the opportunity to engage in cohort meetings, I have appreciated the chance to learn from new perspectives and to interact with my peers on impactful discussions about identity. I have learned so much from my fellow interns and I am forever grateful for the encouragement I have received from this community to pursue enticing career opportunities. Over the course of the internship experience, we have learned from each other in ways that allowed us to have serious discussions outside of a classroom setting, and I was always appreciative of how vulnerable we could be with each other.  

How has this internship set you up for success? What knowledge and skills did you learn that you can use in the future/other jobs?

This internship has set me up for success by providing me with the resources and skills that have developed by ability to work in professional sectors. I have learned valuable skills in program development, outreach, and communication. Since being able to learn these skills, I have been able to further develop my work experience by pursuing more challenging roles to take on new roles of responsibilities. With these new skills learned I can apply them to the programs and opportunities I want to create for other underrepresented backgrounds in the future by being proud of the presence I hold in a professional workspace. 

Seberiana Lopez and Gio Betancourt, a fellow JSMA intern for 2024
What potential career paths have the internship opened your mind to? Has your internship influenced your future goals/direction and if so, how?

Since having the opportunity to work at a museum, in correlation to the class I have taken as an Art History minor it has opened my mind to the work opportunities in museum careers. I have begun speaking and engaging with professional museum staff and art history professors to learn more about their experiences and the types of paths they have taken to be in the career positions they are in today. The internship has reshaped the outlook I have for career opportunities in creative industries, and I am excited to explore them.  

What advice would you give to students interested in the LEI program? What should they know before applying? 

The advice I would give to students who are interested in applying would be to absolutely go for it. As a student of color, I understand the fear and uncertainty a lot of students have because of not feeling as though you do not see yourself being represented in professional settings. From my experience in this program, I have moved past the fear of taking up space and embrace the challenging opportunities that come my way. Also having the experience to be in a cohort with other underrepresented students has helped me feel seen and has built a stronger connection to campus and students around UO. 

Seberiana and her internship site supervisor, Sherri Jones

Has participating in the LEI program impacted/impact your experience at UO? If so, how? 

The LEI internship has impacted me a lot as a student as it has given me the opportunity to be a leader in my community. Throughout my internship experience, I have actively been sharing my experience with my fellow peers, presenting it as a great opportunity for them as underrepresented students. It is an experience I will cherish and continue to share as someone on the Student Leadership Team because it is important to share the opportunities you have experienced to actively see underrepresented students prosper.  

What did you like to do outside of your classes and internship? What are you passionate about? 

Passions of mine have always included being an advocate for underrepresented backgrounds and my identity. As an Art and Technology major, I have enjoyed being able to present my identity and culture to share my community with others. I want to build a space with my art that tells the story that all identities deserve to have a presence in a world that tries to block them out.