Professionalism

As I think about professionalism, I feel that I am very aware of myself in this area because I have been brought up in a way where I was taught to encompass these aspects. I would give myself a score of 47. In evaluating my punctuality I would say I score a 9. I was always on time for meetings with my team, as many of my team members can attest to. The extra meetings with career services, and others, I was always very prompt. The reason I would ding myself one point off is that I was slightly tardy to class on two different occasions; no more than one or two minutes late, but still late. With regards to my participation I feel I scored a 10. I was always engaged with the lectures and class exercises. Though many of our class exercises were in partners or small groups, in contrast to having large class discussions, I feel as I contributed fully to the activities. For example, in the design-thinking workshop, I worked thoroughly with my partner to take part in the exercise. I always filled out the documents we received in class to supplement our learning during these activities. Respecting others is a category I felt I scored a 10 in. All of my group members know that respect is something I hold in very high regard, and would reinforce my abilities. Our group meetings were focused and I was sometimes the one to redirect conversation from others being distracted. Respectfulness is a characteristic I have always possessed from the example my parents set for me at a very young age. My dad always said that “there is no age in which people should be respected more or less, everyone deserves the same amount.” I truly try to establish respect with everyone I encounter because I do not know how it could benefit me down the road. Preparedness is an important part of being organized, and I would peg myself as a very organized person. My self-score for this area would be a 10. The weekly readings and keeping up on the to-do list were priority for me. I do not function well in chaos, and so I make a point to be as prepared as I can be for what I am working on. In my evaluation of one of my team members, I even noted that he needed to be more prepared for our meetings. Being up to date with the assignments and readings would have really helped our group work more effectively. This in itself shows that I take preparation very seriously. In the area of motivation and initiative I would give myself an 8. Motivation in university, not just this class, is something I have always struggled with. I feel that sometimes my attitude was not very positive towards certain tasks performed in this term. I was motivated to do well academically, but sometimes was skeptical of assignments and whether they would truly benefit me personally. I really appreciated all the work we did with the Career Services and that helped me during this season of internship searching. That was valuable knowledge that I wish I knew at an earlier time. I took quite a bit of initiative with our project in doing further research with international students and their career struggles. My group members, and their feedback can support my evaluation.

dB