Pipe cleaners and paperclips

This week I learned how to make a mobile backpack prototype out of paper, pipe cleaners, and paperclips for my classmate Brandon. The exercise of creating something based on short interviews with Brandon was great. It was nice because I was able to just observe him as an individual, and infer what he would like in a product that he would be using every single day. I would say my communication skills were tested a bit with the exercise. We got to the point at certain stages of our interviews that we no longer had more to ask, or say. Within the time frames’ provided to us, we were able to cover everything, but then dig deeper and really think about our needs. I found myself asking questions that had nothing to do with the product, but more about him in general. This inference of taking what information I could gain from him, to then use towards the production of a backpack, was something I had never done before. I hope to use this deeper inference when collaborating with my team members on our project over the course of this term.

dB