Components of Movies Horror

Within this Buffy episode there were many different examples of horror film characteristics. I am going to give one example from the buffy episode of non-diagetic, diagetic and mise-en-scene film principles. One example of a non-diagetic sound in the episode was the eerie music that was quietly playing in the background of scenes. This music is non-diagetic because the sound is coming from a source that was outside of the films world or it was edited in. I chose this example because the music was especially prominent after the voices of the towns people were gone. Because of the prominent exposure to the music, this non-diagetic example did add to the horror effect of the film.

A simple diagetic example that I chose was the scream that came from Buffy near the end of the episode. this scream also added to the aesthetic  horror aspect of the episode because it was screamed after a prolonged time of low sound volume and even silence. This example is also diagetic because the the scream came from an actor in the film (Buffy) and was easily heard by other characters. I chose this because the scream stood out from the film and was an obvious example of diagetic sound.

An example of mise-en-scene in the episode was the lighting of the scenes in the movie. This example also enhance the aesthetic horror aspect of the film because of it’s eerie vibe it gives off. If this was filmed during the day the monsters floating around would not appear to be as creepy. The majority of the scenes in this episode were darkened which is why this example of lighting applies to mise-en-scene. I chose this example because it stood out throughout the episode, often when scenes were difficult to see.

3 thoughts on “Components of Movies Horror”

1. Chris~
    You did a great job adding images in here, therefore making your posting more dynamic! Definitely a lot easier after our midterm 🙂

The lighting was in my opinion the strongest part of the mise-en-scene in the show. It was dramatic and moody and certainly gave way to a horror feel. Dark and foreboding with an ominous air to it really do up the factor that it’s a horror show. You can tell it’s not a comedy by the lighting and the feel of the framing. Good job on catching on to that.

2. Hello Chris
    I like your posted pictures and three good examples for each important topic in horror film. The eerie music, scream and darkness are different factors but they are necessary for horror film. It will be better if there have short introduction for non-diagetic sound, diagetic sound and mise-en-scene in your eyes. And how the sound or vision effect your emotion is also important for evidence the examples.
    Furthermore, as you said, the eerie music belongs to non-diagetic music because the sound is coming from a source that was outside of the films world and it happened after the voices of the town people were gone. But I think the voices of the all world in film were gone instead of the voice of town people were gone is more strong to prove that the source music is not comes from the reality world in film. The light of darkness also is my example for mise-en-scene. And I think maybe the influence on mise-en-scene is the vision effect for audience.
    Anyway, you had a good job and thanks for you shared the ideas.

3. I really like your example of diegetic sound and how you point out that Buffy’s scream was so prominent at the end of this episode because it is after a long period of near silence. When I was watching the video I found that right after everyone recovered their voices the diegetic sounds of them speaking again was almost startling and even a little strange at first. You also said that during the video, after the Gentlemen steal all the voices, the diegetic sounds had “low sound volume”. After reading this I went back to re-watch a few scenes and realized that the diegetic sounds do seem muted compared to the loud, haunting score that plays over it; this effect was probably done intentionally to enhance the on screen horror. This is one of my favorite Buffy episodes and I think it is a great example of why we enjoy horror or horrific videos. Noel Carroll argues that “it is not the tragic event in itself that imparts pleasure, but rather, the way it is worked into the plot”, and I believe this to be true of this episode. The whole event in which every person loses his or her voice is not at all desirable and rather frustrating when Buffy, Giles, and the rest of the crew must try to identify and resolve this problem. However, this does require them all to make an extra effort to communicate effectively, even though it does not always work, which reflects the central theme of this episode. Watching them attempt to communicate with each other and stop the Gentlemen from wrecking havoc on their town is what we enjoy about this horrifying episode.