Art, Technology, & Games

During the TED talk, Jane McGonigal, a game designer, explain the positive side of game and how she tries to use the online game to save the world.

It’s interesting that she use the example of some online game. Like Superstruct or World Bank Institute, those game was called “world-saving game.” Jane said she released the “run out of oil “game online and then track down the result of their gamer. “Most of our players have kept up the habits that they learned in this game.” Jane said. This is brilliant result. I always heard the bad work about the online game. I also got a lots of friends indulge in the online game so that the game would affect their study. However, I think those positive game should be spread. The game like “RUN OF OIL” is an educational game and it can promote positive and helpful information to people.

On the other hand, I worry about that the people would lose themselves in game world. Jane use other game designer’s word that “because gamers can achieve more in online worlds than they can in real life. They can have stronger social relationships in games than they can have in real life; they get better feedback and feel more rewarded in games than they do in real life. So, he says for now it makes perfect sense for gamers to spend more time in virtual worlds than the real world.” If people adapt to the virtual world and investing so much time into the online work, how should we do? Some people would think online world can give a better live for them and then they would lose in the virtual world. We can deny that the online game have a lot of down side. Is there any way we can control people that they would not indulge into the virtual world?

Citation:

Check the video here: http://www.ted.com/talks/jane_mcgonigal_gaming_can_make_a_better_world?language=en